starting strength gym

Thread: Working Around Night Shift Work/Sleep Schedule

Default Working Around Night Shift Work/Sleep Schedule

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I work night shift with a 4 on/4 off rotating schedule from hell. On my first day back to work, and my first day off, my sleep is shit because I'm having to switch from a normal schedule to a night shift schedule or vice-versa.

For instance, if Monday is my first day back I work, I slept Sunday night (like normal) and am awake all day Monday with the exception of a 3-ish hour nap (sometimes). Then I work all night Monday into Tuesday morning.

I sleep during the day Tuesday through Thursday. Then I get off work Friday morning and am awake all day Friday with the exception of a 3-ish hour nap (sometimes). I am back to sleeping at night Friday through Monday (like normal). Then the next week it starts all over again.

My question then is this. On my "Mondays" and "Fridays" where I miss about 5-6 hours of sleep (sometimes more if I don't get a nap in) because of my jacked up work/sleep schedule, should I completely skip my workout if it happens to fall on that day? Maybe do a light day as if I was doing advanced novice?

I've noticed that my missed reps and my highest RPEs (naturally) are on the days where my sleep is shit, or the day immediately following. I'm trying to figure out how to best facilitate recovery without getting too far behind on my novice advances. I feel guilty if I skip my workout because it's 5 lbs added to my squat that I miss out on, etc.

I hope I wasn't too confusing. Sometimes I confused myself when I try to figure out my own schedule so I apologize in advance for the chaos.

Although I am obviously not a SS coach, I can relate to your problem. I also work a day/night shift rotation, which can be difficult. However, your situation, imo, needs to be fixed. It is very unhealthy to flip flop back and forth from nights to days so frequently. My suggestion would be to group together with your coworkers and get your schedule changed to do at least two weeks days shift, then two weeks night shift. This will be a huge quality of life improvement, and, although not ideal, is better than being screwed up pretty much nonstop.

Have your training compliment your life. Throw in an extra rest day and use an 8 day cycle to match your work schedule. We gotta do what we gotta do. It is still better than nothing.

I work shift work, too. Best advice I can give is to go to a split and I've found if I load up on carbs before I go to sleep I can wake up, hit some caffeine, get to the gym, and lift before I turn into a zombie. You'll miss reps occasionally but if that happens reduce load by about ten percent and finish out your volume.
    Last edited by Haggit; 10-02-2014 at 07:05 PM.