starting strength gym

Thread: Sore Lower Body

Default Sore Lower Body

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Lately my lower body, everything from hip to knee, has been pretty sore and stiff.

Is this because up until I have been working the weak links and addressing neurological adaptation (squat)? I am at 220lb on the squat and 250lb on deadlift. Perhaps I have gotten to a point where I am taxing the muscles more and that what has led to the increased soreness? Or is just the simple fact that weights are getting heavier? Will this go away in time? It isn't that big of a deal, but definitely uncomfortable. And as opposed to what I have experienced with DOMS in the past (usually a day or two after the workout), the soreness sets in without about 6 hours. It usually lasts about 2 days or so.

I don't know if this applies to you or not, but sometimes we can coast through the early stages of strength training getting away with non-optimal form.
    It's hard to really "get" form sometimes until the weights start to get heavy. That happened for sure with me with Overhead Press.

All of this to say, try posting some form checks.

Good point. I will work on some videos I can post to the public. I have had some comments regarding form and it is pretty decent.

I did recently make a change on the squat. I was still keeping my head up. I watched Ripps' DVD about keeping the head down and was coached this at WFAC, but I thought it was sort of a "gimmick" in the back of my mind. I didn't think it mattered that much. But as you mentioned, as the weights went up, I realized I needed to keep my core tighter and my back more flat. I wasn't able to do that with the head up. So I kept the head down and back more flat, core tight. At that point, I noticed I was able to sit into the squat better and really get the hip drive going. After the first few workouts, my hips really took a beating. So it could very well be that now I improved that aspect that I am hitting the muscles groups harder or in a different way. And by the way, now I finally get why Ripp says to keep the head down. If I keep it up, my back it overly arched and I can't get the hip drive to work well in that position. So its not about the "head", its about how the entire upper body must be in a position to allow hip drive to work well...at least that is what *feel*.
    Last edited by composite; 10-20-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Also could be a recovery problem. Linear progression requires a lot of nutrients, and the requirement only gets bigger with the weights. If you don't get those nutrients, you'll be sore.

I have considered that as well. Funny thing is my appetite has been down when compared to a couple months ago. I was eating like crazy then, but I just don't feel that hungry now. I recently changed from a M/W/F to a 1-on-2-off routine since I was lacking in recovery. Maybe I just need some time to settle into it.

Quote Originally Posted by composite View Post
    Funny thing is my appetite has been down when compared to a couple months ago. I was eating like crazy then, but I just don't feel that hungry now.
    For most people, hunger isn't really a good indicator of how much you need to eat for optimal recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Also could be a recovery problem. Linear progression requires a lot of nutrients, and the requirement only gets bigger with the weights. If you don't get those nutrients, you'll be sore.
    Yep, that's the other thing new lifters don't always appreciate right away. I know I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    For most people, hunger isn't really a good indicator of how much you need to eat for optimal recovery.
    That's very true, but for me, everything seems to go better when I am feeling hungry at meal times despite packing it away.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by composite View Post
    I have considered that as well. Funny thing is my appetite has been down when compared to a couple months ago. I was eating like crazy then, but I just don't feel that hungry now. I recently changed from a M/W/F to a 1-on-2-off routine since I was lacking in recovery. Maybe I just need some time to settle into it.
    Track your macronutrient intake for three days...that's the best way to tell if you're undereating. (Actually use a food nutrient calculator and write everything down.) You may be surprised at the results...I was when I did it...