starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form

Default Squat Form

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi, I started SS 5 weeks ago (6'3" 150lb). I started with working weight at 95 and I am up to 145, but I am having to stop and stay at the same weight because I cannot finish out my working set about 1 out of every 3 workouts. You will see in the video that I sometimes just cannot get the weight up. Also, my groin muscles have really been hurting, but only when I am lifting. Can you help me with my form? Thank you

You are not hitting depth. You need to reread the squat chapter. You're setup is not correct. Flare your toes approximately 30°. Knees out, hips back, chest down. You need proper footwear.

You also need to eat all of the food. At 6'3" and 150#, I fear for your safety.

T
    Last edited by johnnyworkout; 11-16-2016 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks for your response. My local Dick's Sporting Goods has some Inov-8 Fastlift 325 shoes that will be good. I am going to try the tennis ball trick to keep my head and chest down. What should I do about the groin pain in the mean time? Continue workouts with any modifications?

As for the food... it is hard as hell to eat it all. I am in professional school, so I get no time to snack during the day. I have been trying to hit around 3200-3500 cal a day with around 150g protein. The weight I listed was my starting weight. I am up to 155ish, so gaining about a lb a week. Is that a healthy gain?

Thank you again for the reply, I appreciate the advice.

Your groin hurts because you're under recovered, using bad form and squatting on pillows. How much whole milk are you drinking?

Well you're squatting so that's a good thing. Like Joe said, your doing a few key things wrong whether you want to high or low bar squat. You're a tall dude so Squats will be tough until you seriously add weight to your frame. If you can't eat, which is fine, use either homemade or a weight gainer. Avoid the ones that are just sugar however. Shoot for 225p/400c/75 fat to start with. You will likely need to add to this shortly. Consider Pb and banana sandwiches, easy calories.

Please eat. For just $4 a day you can get you a gallon of whole milk and get bigger and stronger.

I skipped the last workout of the week (Thursday) to recover some more. Bought some Inov-8 325 lifting shoes, so going to give them a shot for my first workout of the week today. Thinking about trying the tennis ball trick to keep head down. Will post video later. I am getting around 3/4 to 1 gallon of milk a day, though I only started doing that the past week or two. Any other suggestions? I appreciate the advice so far.

You didn't miss the last rep you just gave up. Understandable if it was the pain stopping you, but not if it just felt "too heavy". You need to learn what force production feels like, and let me just give you a heads up: it's hell. The days when the bar just magically glides up are far gone and will only appear again in warm sets.

Yes, Re-read squat setup. These aren't too depth and you need to get more in your hips down and up. Setting up correctly may or may not fix this so keep it in mind.

I had hip flexor pain and fixed it by correcting a knee slide. You don't seem to have a knee slide so it's probably just from poor setup (not being able to shoot knees out, things are getting jammed up).

Keep at it.

starting strength coach development program
    Widen your heels and point your toes out more.