starting strength gym

Thread: Snap City, Perfect, or somewhere in between?

Default Snap City, Perfect, or somewhere in between?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Attempt at 440x5, first time failing a rep. Hoping to attempt 500 soon so figured this might be a good time for a trained eye. Thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/30_UATlbl2U

Before I comment on your form, answer me this – are you deadlifting with iron directly on a concrete floor with no rubber matting between the weights and the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Before I comment on your form, answer me this – are you deadlifting with iron directly on a concrete floor with no rubber matting between the weights and the ground?
    It would be weird for a commercial gym to only have a concrete floor, no?

No, rubber matting on the entire floor. I don't add any additional mats, but it's all covered. It's kind of a light green/grey color though.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    It would be weird for a commercial gym to only have a concrete floor, no?
    I thought so, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    No, rubber matting on the entire floor. I don't add any additional mats, but it's all covered. It's kind of a light green/grey color though.
    Okay. I feel better now.

These aren't bad deadlifts. You hold your back together pretty well. You aren't doing the setup steps as listed in the sticky, however. The bar has tendency to start in front of the midfoot, especially noticeable on your first rep, with your hips too low. You also don't really keep the bar on your legs. Clean up your setup a touch and keep the bar on your legs and you should be good to go. I bet you that you'll get five on your next deadlift workout. You barely missed it there. The reason you could not lock it out, besides the accumulated fatigue, was that you rebent your knees and put your shoulders behind the bar too early. You see a hint of that in rep four, too. While natural to want to do so, rebending can get you red lights and it makes the lockout awful and sometimes impossible as the shoulders move into a position of mechanical disadvantage.

Aha, didn't notice that about the knees until you mentioned it, thank you. Unfortunately, 440x5 will have to wait until next Monday, as I got ahead of myself and attempted 500 today. Barely broke the floor with it but thats about all. This resulted in only getting 440x3. Going to wait until I hit a clean 450x5 before I attempt it again.

1 RMs in the gym are nice, but even better is to train. If you really want to find your 1 RM, consider entering a meet where you have witnesses and judges.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah but 500 is just such a nice round number! I agree though, 1RM attempts can disrupt training. I'd like to do another meet but at this point will most likely be after the first of the year.