starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting after vas

Default Squatting after vas

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark, I recently had a vas done (4 sons who will be doing starting strength in the future) and I was wondering if you had any advice as to when I should squat again? The doctor said to wait a week and start back like, but I was hoping to dive right back in. Any thoughts or advice? Thanks, Sean

I am sorry, my brother, but again tonight I cannot help with this.

I would err on the side of caution with this. I waited one week and started lifting after mine. I hit the hole on my first rep on my first work-set and felt a pop in the nut area. I immediately racked the weight. I didnt feel much pain but my nuts got huge and not in the manly good way. I went to the Uro Doc and he was not concerned he just told me to lay off for 4-6 weeks...I think I should have worked my way back into it instead of went balls to the wall. Took a good 2 weeks for swelling and discoloration to go down.

A few of my friends started back with regular activities too soon because, "I felt great" then suddenly had their balls swell up like grape fruit.

The experiences of my buddies scared the shit out of me so when I had mine done on a Friday morning I stayed in bed with an ice pack Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I went back to work on Monday and never looked back.

Squatted 14 days later.

If you are past the first week and haven't had ANY problems then why not try the warm ups for your last workout and see how you feel?

I think the "trick" here is ice and a lot of rest (I didn't get out of bed for anything except to go to the bathroom) for 3 or 4 days.

Default Listen to your doctor. Seriously.

I have not had a vasectomy. However, my dad has. He's a very tough guy. He got cut on a Friday, took a day on Saturday. The next day he felt pretty good, so he decided he'd do some mechanic work on his pickup. On Monday, his balls looked like a huge purple grapefruit and he was down for a week. The pain made him throw up, which made his balls hurt more.

Please listen to your doctor's advice. Your training program can wait for a week.

A pretty definitive consensus here.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for all the replies. I had to go back to the doctor 1 week later and I was still hurting after not lifting. I have to take a 2-3 week break.