starting strength gym

Thread: Pin bench/squat and rack pull without power rack

Default Pin bench/squat and rack pull without power rack

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

My current program has these movements and my gym is closing for two weeks. There's only two gyms I've found with a squat anything. One in this city with one of those L Racks and one about an hour away with a power rack with widely spaced holes that I haven't actually used. I'd rather train here.

I'm wondering if I could try this.

1)Would a piece of wood be strong enough to support pin squats under 180kg? The L rack's safeties are about 3-4 inches too low for me (not adjustable). I was thinking of strapping the wood to the safeties. Or how about some thick rope wrapped around a few times? Right now my pin squats are around 130kg but I've strained my back so they're probably going to be lower for a while.

2) for a pin bench could I use those plastic step boxes people use for aerobics? I'd have the plates rest on them. I'm only benching around 90kg with those. But I would imagine one alone should be able to support someone around 80-90kg.

3) Could I DL off of some bumper plates to raise the bar high enough for the equivalent of a rack pull?

Other than looking funny, do you guys see any immediate or long term issues with these "fixes"? If they work I may just switch gyms since my current one closes way too often with almost no notice. I'm sick of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Hello,

My current program has these movements and my gym is closing for two weeks. There's only two gyms I've found with a squat anything. One in this city with one of those L Racks and one about an hour away with a power rack with widely spaced holes that I haven't actually used. I'd rather train here.

I'm wondering if I could try this.

1)Would a piece of wood be strong enough to support pin squats under 180kg? The L rack's safeties are about 3-4 inches too low for me (not adjustable). I was thinking of strapping the wood to the safeties. Or how about some thick rope wrapped around a few times? Right now my pin squats are around 130kg but I've strained my back so they're probably going to be lower for a while.

2) for a pin bench could I use those plastic step boxes people use for aerobics? I'd have the plates rest on them. I'm only benching around 90kg with those. But I would imagine one alone should be able to support someone around 80-90kg.

3) Could I DL off of some bumper plates to raise the bar high enough for the equivalent of a rack pull?

Other than looking funny, do you guys see any immediate or long term issues with these "fixes"? If they work I may just switch gyms since my current one closes way too often with almost no notice. I'm sick of it.
    1. Yes if safeties are rectangular not pipe
    2 Maybe, cannot recommend it bench already being the most dangerous lift.
    3. Yes

and get a gym with reasonable hours

Home depot sells some adjustable-height sawhorses rated to 1000lbs. I saw a home gym thread somewhere where someone was using them. Maybe look into that? Because #1 and #2 sound scary.

Yes, safeties are rectangular and I'd strap the wood to the safeties so that it wouldn't move.

I don't know much about wood, but how important is quality in this situation? I suspect I'll only have access to lower quality stuff, which is why I though of using rope. Saw horses are an interesting idea, no home depot but I'll see if I can find reasonable priced ones here.

Regarding the bench, unless I'm missing something I dont see how it'd be more dangerous than a normal bench. I'd set the stepping blocks on the sides of the bench station. I'd unrack from the bench then lower them the the blocks. They're wide/long enough that I wouldn't miss them. I control the bar well too, so I don't personally see me breaking them if they can stand up to whatever forces heavier people put forth while stepping on them. But worse case scenario my arms are still there and it's a submaximal lift for me.

As much as I hate people giving me this excuse, the truth is "this is China" and companies don't generally plan their crap well. Ive been asking for the schedule since December and they still waited until this past Friday to tell everyone they were closing for two weeks starting the next day. They actually are the best gym in this city. But I'm sick of their inability to give proper notice which is why I'm looking to figure out a way to make the next best gym work. I'm lucky any gyms are open though. I freaking hate Chinese New Year here. I guess the only consolation is that I didn't just show up to see it closed with all my bumper plates, chalk, micro plates, and prowler locked up inside.

Why not just change exercises to similar movements that don't need potentially dangerous improvisation? Just pause your squats and benches. Can't you just rack pull off the L rack?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimmy View Post
    Regarding the bench, unless I'm missing something I dont see how it'd be more dangerous than a normal bench. I'd set the stepping blocks on the sides of the bench station. I'd unrack from the bench then lower them the the blocks. They're wide/long enough that I wouldn't miss them. I control the bar well too, so I don't personally see me breaking them if they can stand up to whatever forces heavier people put forth while stepping on them. But worse case scenario my arms are still there and it's a submaximal lift for me.
    What happens if your grip slips or you injure yourself? Do you trust your setup to protect you if you dropped the bar from full extension? Safeties are there for when things don't go as planned.

Greg

starting strength coach development program
    post a picture of the rack so we can better understand the mods/improvisations you're talking about.