starting strength gym

Thread: squat 260x5 form check (depth good?)

Default squat 260x5 form check (depth good?)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    2 months into SS Novice LP program

cole squat 260x5 - YouTube

These are a good start. The first one is perfect, reps 2&4 are a little deep. You need to make sure hips / knees break at the same time - on some of the reps you start by bending at the hip first - we definitely want you to keep doing that, just get the knees bending at the same time. Second, move your heels about an inch closer together. Just your heels. This will get your stance a little narrower, but more importantly, get your toes turned out more. Then, drive knees out. Finally, think about getting your head pointed down more.

Funnily, while writing up my comments, another one of your videos (the 205# squats) loaded. In that video, you actually keep your head down, and break at hips/knees at the same time.

Last comment: Get some shoes. Your knee position is a little aft of your toes. Shoes would help this as the heel lift will help get your knees a little more forward. However, YMMV on this - getting out of your knees (and staying out of them) is important to people who's knees get pissy from squatting. If you do get your knees a little forward, with or without some WL shoes, and they start to hurt, just go back to doing this.

Thank you for your helpful advice. I will work on eye gaze and hip/knee break simealtaneously.

Last comment: Get some shoes. Your knee position is a little aft of your toes. Shoes would help this as the heel lift will help get your knees a little more forward. However, YMMV on this - getting out of your knees (and staying out of them) is important to people who's knees get pissy from squatting. If you do get your knees a little forward, with or without some WL shoes, and they start to hurt, just go back to doing this.[/QUOTE]

I will say, i dont feel great with olympic/weightlifting shoes. i fell like im falling forward, i tend to get knee tendinitis. I like the chucks bc i feel like my heels are solid to the ground and my foundation is stable.

Then get some shoes and have a cobbler cut the heel down to 1/4-1/2". You need to not be squatting in mashy shoes. And before you object, yes, chuck's have mash.