starting strength gym

Thread: training with a hand injury

Default training with a hand injury

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    During my last workout I failed a clean and hurt my hand. I think it is skiers thumb since the pain is centered around the base of my thumb. I have lost almost all my grip strength in that hand and cant stand to put any pressure on my palm. No bruising or swelling. Has anyone had a similar injury? how long did it last? what adjustments did you have to make?

I think I will have to cut all pushing and pulling, might still be able to squat.

Going to follow this one because I have hand issues too. Mine are more complicated though but I still like learning more.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tried squatting today, I cant have anything but my fingertips on the bar for high bar back squats. I couldn't put enough weight on the bar to get up to my normal work weights. With this in mind I will probably just say away from the gym for as long as this thing takes to heal and do swimming or something else instead. Going to the clinic to get doctors advice today.

Always good to get them looked at. I had surgery on both hands which made it difficult to get back to doing things with stupidly tender hands for months. I ended up buying push-up handles and an ab wheel to be able to do something and test my hands slowly.

But it sounds like you might need to do things a little different. See what the doctors say and make sure to keep mobility in your fingers, nothing worse than a hand stiffening up when you need dexterity...

You could swap to front or Zercher squats to limit how much your hands are involved if you still want to squat. Front squats were a life saver when I was getting back to things and couldn't have much pressure on my palms

I misracked a clean and broke my scaphoid. I found that using a wrist wrap allowed me to squat, bench, press, and deadlift. I used a strap when I needed to on deadlifts. See a doc to make sure something else isn't going on, then train as you can. A wrist wrap and straps may be useful.

Saw a doc, took over an hour cause Ontario health care. He says since its only slightly swollen, no bruising and full range of motion I probably didn't break anything and the ligiments are still attached. He estimated only 2 weeks for it to heal but Ill be prone to reinjury. He recommended I rehab it with grip exercises. Good news all round.

starting strength coach development program
    Tried front squats, I can do them with 2 fingertips on the bar - good enough. Guess it's front squats and core from now on.