starting strength gym

Thread: Silicon strips for squats?

Default Silicone strips for squats?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was just curious if anyone has ever seen or perhaps tried using some kind of silicone strip/sticker on the back of their shirt for extra grip, perhaps while wearing a polyester/non cotton shirt (or even shirts with it built in).

It seems like an interesting idea in theory, especially because the bars I use suck and have no center knurling. Though I'd imagine a shirt with a built in piece of grip would ultimately be more stable/safe.
    Last edited by Crimmy; 02-18-2017 at 03:55 AM. Reason: Typo

Option 1. A7 Bar Grip shirts.
    Option 2. Use chalk on your back.

I haven't noticed a difference since I got the OPB (has center knurl) and my old bar without the knurl, but I'm still in the 330# area

The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

They actually already sell this. But you don't need it if you chalk your shirt

Why don't you just use a SSB? Far better stability than a usual shitty barbell.

Assuming he has one, this is an option. The SSB squat is somewhere between a front squat and a high bar squat, so the training affect would be different than that a low bar squat. Granted, any form of squatting is better than not squatting; however, I'm not sure the OP is at the point of giving up low bar squat.

Thanks Cody, I figured you'd know of something.

What's a SSB bar? Safety bar?

I was just thinking it'd be an interesting idea/thing to try but I guess they already make grip shirts. I've tried chalking my back, think it helped but the bar is super smooth.

Does it work to wrap a thin layer of tape around the middle of the bar?

starting strength coach development program
    tape would definitely help but I'd rather not get anything dirtier. I think they're already a little annoyed with my chalk, or at least some of the other gym members are. Besides, that A7 bear shirt would look good with my lime green lifting belt/shoes, haha.

It's honestly not a huge deal, I can do without all of it. I've dealt with it for a year now. But ill definitely welcome a grippy shirt when that bear shirt is available. And just the idea of a shirt with grip sounded cool to me, I was moreso curious of anyone had tried something like this rather than specifically looking for a solution to a problem.