starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Form breaking down on friday

Default Form breaking down on friday

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Currently working on TTM, Fridays squats are 1x5 but by about the third rep my form starts breaking down.

What are my options at this point?
    Should I drop the weight or work on 5 singles at the same weight?
    Fridays weight is about 88% of Mondays.

Thanks for any help.

What do you mean by form breaking down? Depth or other things, like Good Morninging (haha) the weight up?

Quote Originally Posted by peanuts-nuts View Post
    Fridays weight is about 88% of Mondays.
    Do you mean the opposite?

Quote Originally Posted by Marotta View Post
    Do you mean the opposite?
    Yes, sorry, Monday's weight is about 88% of Fridays.

Monday volume is at 8x3 (as per Carni's suggestion) @ 355 lb

Oran, yes, it's depth mainly, although I was just about able to push out the last two reps.

I would say that if you're not going to full depth, repeat the weight. If you can't get it when you go to full depth, you need to drop the weight. If you're just worried about other form issues, just push through and keep adding weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Oran View Post
    If you're just worried about other form issues, just push through and keep adding weight.
    Wouldn't this be counter productive?

From my experience with TM (only a few months, not irrelevent but it doens't make me an expert) I REALLY enjoyed doing one heavy set of 3 on heavy squat day. Keep the same weight, commit to depth and reduce to a set of three and continue progression as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    From my experience with TM (only a few months, not irrelevent but it doens't make me an expert) I REALLY enjoyed doing one heavy set of 3 on heavy squat day. Keep the same weight, commit to depth and reduce to a set of three and continue progression as normal.
    Sounds good. So you wouldn't be shooting for your 3RM? Rather, keep the weight the same and just do 3 reps?

Yes - of course the idea is never to always try to keep pushing 3rm's, 5rm's or 3x5rm's, but rather to work the load up till you reach an RM and have to reset. Try it if it interests you, I really liked it. I think I liked it because 3's on friday puts a lot more weight on my back than 5x5's on monday. If I were doing 5's it wouldn't be nearly so far separated from Monday's weight so I wouldn't get that "shit, this feels light!" feeling on Monday.

starting strength coach development program
    I see. What percentage of the triple should Monday's weight be? Right now, well for the last 7 or so months I've been on TTM, Monday's weight was 88% of Fridays, but Friday was 1x5. Would changing it to 3RM up the weight or would it still be 88%?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast