starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I lift with a Baker's Cyst?

Default Can I lift with a Baker's Cyst?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I found out what was wrong with my knee - Baker Cyst. Like someone put a squishy golf ball at the back of my knee. The whole knee is a bit tender and feels weak. Obviously the long walks and racquetball are out for the next couple of weeks. I was hoping to really restart SS tomorrow, though, and do the full 70s big type of eating as well.
    Anyone had this injury, and how did it affect your lifts?

Really - people would rather reply to the confederate flag hottie post than offer their ideas here? Maybe I should ask Mark.

Don't be huffy. Most people have probably never even heard of this thing, let alone tried to lift with it.

You post on a Sunday morning, in the Recovery thread, asking for people who have had this particular injury to respond with how it has affected their lifts...and then get pissed off a few hours later because people have commented on a thread about a hot chick in a bikini. There's a broader scope of applicability with the bikini thread.

Having said that, no I haven't had the condition. I find it funny, though, that you're going to give up walking because your knee is injured, but want to know if you can go and squat heavy.

Since I've not had the condition, and I'm no doctor, I decided to consult an expert on the condition. Wikipedia says that rest and elevation should be all you need to do to treat the cyst. Squatting, kneeling and heavy lifting seem to specifically cause pain in those suffering from Baker's Cysts. However, judging from your previous posts you know this, as pain during the squat is what caused you to find out you had the cyst. Dr. Wikipedia says not to push the condition if you want it to get better.

There, you've been acknowledged by an anonymous person on the Interwebz.

I wasn't pissed off and I didn't exactly post a rant. Damn this forum is negative. I'm giving up 1 hr + walks as that seems to aggravate it, which is a pretty different kind of stress on the joint as a squat. I don't know if the squatting caused it or not.

Again, you have posted recently that you experienced pain behind the knee after squatting. If you are giving up the walking because it also hurts your knee, what exactly are you wanting to hear? You want someone to tell you that you should squat because you "really hoped to restart SS on Monday"? Do it, then. Permission granted. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. Squats may be the cure for Baker's Cyst...I don't know, as I freely admit having no knowledge of the condition. However, I don't know of any injury or condition (except being a fatass) that is exacerbated by taking some time off.

I was actually posting hoping to get advice from someone who knew about it and had some experience with lifting and this condition - I'm not sure why you are picking a fight with me, since you don't know anything about the injury. I can speculate all by myself, thanks, but the reason I bothered to join this forum is because there are some real experts on here who could answer questions like this.
    Maybe you think there are not enough assholes on internet forums and wanted to do your part, I dunno. Go watch some football, there are some good games on.

Asking for advice is fine, complaining 4 hours later that you haven't got any isn't.

Not helpful posts, gentlemen/ladies.

Tfarny, unless someone that has been in your situation appears, do what wikipedia says or get a second opinion from a sports medicine doctor.

starting strength coach development program
    Fuck, this place is a waste of time. Ask about lifting with an injury and get reprimands from three people about asking twice, and no attempt to answer the Q.
    Thanks though Robcor, that's what I was planning to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast