starting strength gym

Thread: Tight Knee

Default Tight Knee

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

In the bottom of my squat my shorts tore completely down the backside, lost all focus and muscled the weight back up and racked it. Since that lift, my right knee(above the patella) feels tight and clicks every so often when I straighten it out. I've squat 480lbs since then and hasn't impaired my lifting at all but I'm walking around feeling like I have a slightly swolen or tight knee.. I've done some active stretching,rolling,lifting and it's been about 1 week since the tweak. Any ideas what it may be and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Rowan

How did your stretchy shorts tear down the back?

That particular day, I was unfortunately unprepared. So, any idea how I can loosen up my knee? It's not very bothersome, but I do not want this little tweak to turn into some poor mechanical issue that leads into something big down the road.

Unfortunate indeed. Sounds like a tear in your meniscus. It will have to settle down.

I've done some research and it does sound like it's my meniscus..my only concern or question is the severity and how to go about my training. My meet is on the 16th of July so I'm about 4 weeks out. My injury occured last week on my volume day so it's been 8 days. Since the injury I've squatting 480lbs on my intensity day, and yesterday did 405lbs for 8 x 3 and a downset of 315lbs for a set of 8. No pain at all and everything felt great. My knee feels perfectly stable, no bruising, and there's no pain at all..just the feeling of stiffness and my knee clicks at the last 5-10 degrees of flexion..so basically when my heel touches my ass I hear a little click. Based on these symptoms would you recommend taking a week off squatting? or just listen closely to my body and maybe wrap my knees up for my up coming intensity day?

Thanks,

Rowan

Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I do this!" (patient poses in silly-ass position)
    Doctor: "Well then don't do that."

so basically when my heel touches my ass I hear a little click.
    You are indeed a fool. Heel touches ass??? Mother of GOD but you are dense boy. Every post you make is another trip through The Silliness Display at the Museum of Dumb.

In retrospect, I have asked some pretty stupid questions.. I overthink my training, and obviously underthink my posts, but I am no fool. If I write on your forum again I'll make sure I've put a lot more thought into my question.
    I'll see how friday's intensity goes, and take it from there.

I disagree. All evidence points to the fact that you are a fool. Improve yourself.

starting strength coach development program
    ...is another trip through The Silliness Display at the Museum of Dumb.
    I am stealing this line. Fucking fantastic.