starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight and type ll diabetes, CVD

Default Gaining weight and type ll diabetes, CVD

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Are you concerned about developing type ll diabetes or CVD from having to bulk regularly for weight lifting?

Are you asking me personally?

Is this a real question? I think you should be more concerned about being a pussy than developing CVD and Type 2 Diabetes from hard work and what should be decent nutrition.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveman1 View Post
    Are you concerned about developing type ll diabetes or CVD from having to bulk regularly for weight lifting?
    Being strong and fit are excellent ways to help forestall and prevent diseases of civilization. Increasing muscle mass may also help to fight diabetes. Eat lots of good food and get stronger. Putting on mass by eating cookies and pasta is probably not a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you asking me personally?
    Yes. All of the studies I've seen show an increased risk associated with being overweight. Do you agree with the evidence and does it concern you about having to bulk on a regular basis for weight lifting?

You're not looking at all the evidence. You're citing the conventional wisdom, which is quite literally always wrong.

1. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/...e2=tf_ipsecsha

Combination of weight loss and increased physical activity resulted in improvements in diabetes compared with a diabetes drug and control group.

2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

Similar setup of study with same results.

3. http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/...e2=tf_ipsecsha

Similar setup of study with same results.

4. http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...e2=tf_ipsecsha

A cohort study examining the correlation of BMI and diabetes in women. Their results show that as BMI increased, so did risk of developing diabetes. However, I don't think it's strong evidence, considering as a woman's BMI increases, it usually means she's physically inactive.

5. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

Two groups: the one that lost more weight had better improvements in diabetes. However, that group probably exercised more often to create a larger caloric deficit, which may have been the contributing factor for its success.

So, Rip, do you think the increased physical activity is the sole contributor to the improvements and prevention in diabetes, with bodyweight being a non-contributor?

I'm glad you posted these. They are an excellent representation of exactly what I mean about the conventional wisdom. Granted, all we're seeing here are the abstracts, but the whole paper won't show anything we need to see. All these studies attempt to correlate bodyweight with the likelihood of developing type II diabetes. The first 4 studies do not mention anything about bodyweight or bodyfat loss at all in the intervention groups. They just say that lifestyle modification lowered the risk of developing the disease. The last study attempts to correlate the reduction in bodyweight with the lowered risk, but omits any consideration of the processes that produced the bodyweight reduction as possible factors in the risk reduction. Yet you are ready to conclude that bodyweight increase = elevated diabetes risk, and bodyweight decrease = reduction in risk, without any consideration given to about 3000 other factors that are obviously involved.

And this doesn't even begin to address the fact that their little chickenshit lifestyle intervention consists of walking and a reduction in the number of donuts. There is essentially no such thing as type II diabetes in conditioned athletes, irrespective of bodyweight. This is because type II diabetes is a disease of carbohydrate metabolism, and training and a clean diet specifically addresses this metabolic domain (recreational distance runners and road cyclists are not conditioned athletes). And doesn't matter how much you weigh while you're doing it. At all. The hilarious thing about this is that even the most casual attempt at resistance training immediately has a positive effect on blood sugar, so it's really not necessary to be an elite lifter or CrossFitter to get the benefit of training. In short, your concern for me is misplaced, albeit appreciated.

It is a sad state of affairs in science education when cause-and-effect and correlation are indistinguishable in the minds of both the public and the assholes publishing these studies.

Granted, all we're seeing here are the abstracts, but the whole paper won't show anything we need to see.
    1, 3, and 4 have full papers. "Full text" at the top right.

The first 4 studies do not mention anything about bodyweight or bodyfat loss at all in the intervention groups.
    1 and 3 show in detail the weight loss. 4 and 5 weren't trials.

1: placebo averaged zero kg change, clinical drug had 2kg loss, lifestyle had 5-7kg loss. Lifestyle also increased physical activity significantly more than the others.

3:control had 1% decrease in bodyweight, lifestyle had 4.7% decrease. Lifestyle increased physical activity significantly more than the other.

2: In this study, I assume their test subjects' goals were met close enough since the trial produced consistent results with the others.

The last study attempts to correlate the reduction in bodyweight with the lowered risk, but omits any consideration of the processes that produced the bodyweight reduction as possible factors in the risk reduction.
    I said that. Since increases in BMI for a woman typically means they are being physically inactive(along with eating a surplus of calories), that's something to take note of.

Yet you are ready to conclude that bodyweight increase = elevated diabetes risk, and bodyweight decrease = reduction in risk, without any consideration given to about 3000 other factors that are obviously involved.
    The clinical studies here isolated weight loss and physical activity as the main differences between the groups, and they produced similar results with all the trials. I think it proves that at least one of these two factors improve diabetes. I'll try to find some hard evidence proving which one or if it's both of them.

starting strength coach development program
    An excellent idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast