starting strength gym

Thread: deadlift taking off from the squat

Default deadlift taking off from the squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I'm still early in the program, but I am seeing a definite trend develop.

Rip indicates in SS that deadlifts are usually heavier than squats, which makes sense. He also indicates that you can usually progress faster with them on squats.

I am very quickly finding this to be true. I just finished my 9th workout today. I am taking 5 pound jumps on the squat and they are starting to get pretty heavy. I did 225 today. I've been taking 20 pound jumps on the deadlift without problem at all. Today I just did 265 and the set was solid. I'll probably go up to 285 next week. on top of that, i do 3 sets of chins every workout, even after the DL's... absolutely no problem with fatigue or recovery.

Of course, I'll have to slow down the deadlift eventually, but I am beginning to think that I will probably have a bigger gap between my deadlift and squat weights over time. I'm a tall lanky fuck with really long arms, so I'm sure that makes it much easier for me to deadlift.

anyway, maybe it's too soon to tell? i'm really just rambling because i'm bored at work.

After 285, I'd recommend going down to 10lb jumps on the DL. My experience was that jumping 20lbs on the DL was super easy until it was suddenly very very hard. 265 was the last number I hit with 20lb jumps.

But I'm only pulling 320 so my opinion isn't worth very much. Between 265 and 320 I made a ton of dumb mistakes and wasted several months.

some people pull 100+lbs heavier than their squat, some pull just a few lbs heavier. Some pull even slightly less than they squat (myself, for instance). Most will pull at least 25lbs heavier from what I've anecdotally observed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenden View Post
    After 285, I'd recommend going down to 10lb jumps on the DL.
    I wouldn't go down until you need to. Keep going up until it stops. And for tall guys like you, yes the deadlift will most likely always be more than the squat.

tweak, I'm certainly not lanky but i've got long ass arms for my height. My dead is 75# greater than my squat (max 5 RM to max 5 RM). And if I pushed the dead like I pushed the squat I expect it would be 100# greater.

Nothing wrong with it IMO. You are built for deadlifting. Embrace it.

Another advantage to being built for DL (in my experience anyway) is that the squat increases have a huge carryover effect on the DL.

starting strength coach development program
    If you are a natural deadlifter eventually you'll reach a point where you barely even have to deadlift to make progress on it even in more advanced stages.

Its Nice