starting strength gym

Thread: DL form check

Default DL form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    hey
    please give me feedback on my deadlift:

video

We prefer you to film the side angle. Is hard to tell all the problem with that angle.
    You need to squeeze your chest up really really hard, its not suppost to be easy.

I can't tell from the angle, but it almost looks like the bar is hitting your thighs on the way down. When the weight gets heavy, setting it down properly (or dropping it) will be important.

And, your shorts are too long.

Quote Originally Posted by strengthbeginner View Post
    hey
    please give me feedback on my deadlift:

video
    Unsure because of the viewing angle but...

1- Your starting position looks like shit. You lowered your hips, but didn't seem to lift your chest up and attempt to arch your back, so it seemed that all reps were done with a rounded back from before the bar even lifted.

As you bring your chest up, before the bar leaves the floor, the position should be downright uncomfortable from how much stretched up your chest is.

2- You need to put some collars on that bar so the weights will stay where they are.

3- When the bar touches down, reset it completely. You'll need to roll it back into your shins as it is often back forward of them once it touches down. You need to just restart your position from scratch. Take 5 second to do that each rep (once you fix #1).

This seems to be done at home which is great! Just show us a video from another angle, fixed or with the same form and we can give you some pointers again.

Those deadlifts don't look good at all. Maybe you should read the deadlift chapter again.

Hi,

the main thing that strikes me is that you seem to have your shoulders lower, or at most level, with your hips, when it should be the other way round.
    This means your legs barely move during thelift, and the lift is done almost exclusively by your back.

IPB

Now Video from the side.
    Note that initially my shoulders are lower than my hips. I should not compensate this by dropping my butt, right?

Bar is too low because you are using 5kg plates? This is causing your shoulders lower than hips phenomena and also throwing you too far forward at the start (shoulders should be slightly in front of bar to allow scapulas to be over the bar) Anyways the bar needs to be at a set height (standard 20kg or 45lb plates should put it at the right height). Either use bumper plates if you're going to be using weights so low that it's easy, or set up the plates higher by stacking other plates under them on each side or somehow putting something sturdy underneath to raise the level of the bar.

Have you read the book?

starting strength coach development program
    As I said before, and is now clearly evident with the side angle, you need to work on your descent (among other things). From the top you need to break your hips to start the weight down, keep your back tight, and when the weight clears your knees, you can bend them.. you're bending them on the way down so the bar has to scoot around your knees. Or just drop the damn thing.