starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    https://splice.gopro.com/v?id=VJ4XOBdJM

I am currently not doing squats because of my knees. I have a rather complicated medical history that I recently detailed on the recovery forum (http://startingstrength.com/resource...-post-1-a.html) if you are interested. So, I do 3 sets of deadlifts per workout. Keen to hear all of your thoughts on how I can improve.

They're looking really good! Others might spot something I missed but I only have a few minors:

- Grip the bar with the base of your fingers first and then wrap your hand around it. Else you'll create a skin fold with that area and at heavier weights it'll become problematic.

- Are those runners? I'd rather deadlift in socks than in shoes with a dampening sole.

- Wait to bend your knees a bit more in the descent, or the bar will slide out from your body on the way down.

Those deadlifts looked okay. The view of you back is blocked as you come up, so it's hard to tell if it might be rounding, but all in all I'd say you did a good set at that weight.

As athlegan noted, the bar is travelling out around your knees on the way down. Lowering should be exactly the reverse of lifting. Pretty much everyone has the bar bouncing round the knee at first, it takes a little practice to stop it.

I think the form is good. It looks like you're working to control the bar speed on the way up though. If you can pull it faster with the same mechanics, I would recommend doing so. This will carry over better to the power clean.

Programming, why are you on set 3? Deadlifts should only be worked for one set of five because the accumulated volume will wreck your back.

Thank you for the advice. The point on my knees are dead on after looking at it. I'll be sure to tilt more at the hips first before I bend at the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by athlegan View Post
    They're looking really good! Others might spot something I missed but I only have a few minors:

- Grip the bar with the base of your fingers first and then wrap your hand around it. Else you'll create a skin fold with that area and at heavier weights it'll become problematic.

- Are those runners? I'd rather deadlift in socks than in shoes with a dampening sole.

- Wait to bend your knees a bit more in the descent, or the bar will slide out from your body on the way down.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you as well. I need to move faster, I am trying too much to control the pull.

As for the programming comment, I only workout once a week. Would you still say the volume is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Harshy View Post
    I think the form is good. It looks like you're working to control the bar speed on the way up though. If you can pull it faster with the same mechanics, I would recommend doing so. This will carry over better to the power clean.

Programming, why are you on set 3? Deadlifts should only be worked for one set of five because the accumulated volume will wreck your back.