starting strength gym

Thread: Power cleans check

Default Power cleans check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025

Your initial pull is good, but you're jumping too early.

Your catch is too stiff. You need to catch in a more front squat position.

After you finish the clean on your warm ups, do a quarter squat to get the position in your head. Then catch like that going forward.

Also, when you jump, think about slamming your feet into the position they were in before you jumped. This should prevent you from catching with too wide a stance.

Hi Ice-man

(I've got this weird feeling that I've given you feedback on your PCs in another thread).
    You first pull looks ok.
    You have a hint of arm-pulling, which does not help but is not the end of the world.
    What really struck me, and it took a while to notice, is what you do with your head.
    Slow down your video to 0.25, and look at the second rep.
    You pull; you bend your elbows (a bit); you explode and...you look down. You head goes from vaguely looking ahead of you to looking down, towards the bar.

I think this is killing all the momentum you have. When doing PCs, there should be a moment when you appear to be completely stretched out, literally straining to reach as high as possible. Some people will arch their back, some people will have their face almost pointing skywards, but all the segments of their body will look moving into the same direction.

What you do is starting to stretch your body, then knocking on top of it with a big hammer. A little speculation here: it looks like you know you will have to shrug at some point; and you know that when shrugging your shoulders move closer to your ears; so you lower your head to move the ears towards the shoulders. The end result is the same, ears close to shoulders, but the way you get there goes against what your body should be doing.

My very humble advice would be to practice, practice practice jumping on the spot with the bar in your hands. Just jump, try to jump as high as you can, try to just extend yourself, strain that cervical spine to punch a hole in the ceiling. Start with the bar, lower it a few inches, then jump up. Do it for the warm-up maybe; you can also add a bit of weight once the bar feel too light.
    Get used to the feeling of trying to make yourself long and stretched.

TL;DR you are not finishing your pull, and you are looking down midway through it, which does not help.

Hope this helps,

IPB