starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Looking for some guidance on my squat form. First thing I think I notice in this is that I didn't get low enough, but wanted an expert opinion. When I met with the coach, she said I had a tendency to get too low, so was trying to compensate that. I was also trying to concentrate on keeping everything tight and my chest up, but also notice my elbows lift up on rep 2 or 3.

This is my first post, so I hope I got the posting rules right. Apologies if I goofed somewhere.

Squat - YouTube

They look a little high to me. If a coach said you were going too low before, you might have been getting there by loosening up at the bottom. Taking the heels out a little might help get the depth you need while staying tight throughout (though it's hard to judge stance width in this video). My suggestion: play with heel and toe width, make sure the knees are tracking over your toes, and look for a bit more depth.

I agree that these are high. I'm not sure that I agree with the suggestion to move the stance out, though. I've found it to be more difficult to get to depth if the stance is out wide. Try it and see. Other things you can try is moving stance in if it's already wide, and just going lower.
    You also tend to bring up your chest on the way up. Stay in your hips all the way to the top.

Which coach did you see?

These are shallow and I actually think it's a combination of having a stance that's a bit too wide and also in part just not going deep enough. Most of the rest of your work is pretty clean. Continue working on getting and keeping tight. Maybe keep your knees back a touch. Come up with more speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Which coach did you see?

These are shallow and I actually think it's a combination of having a stance that's a bit too wide and also in part just not going deep enough. Most of the rest of your work is pretty clean. Continue working on getting and keeping tight. Maybe keep your knees back a touch. Come up with more speed.
    It was Mia Inman. She was a lot of help, but it's been a while since I saw her. When she corrected me the first time, my form was a lot different. I did a stupid thing in May and switched up my programming because I was stalling out at low weights (that, and I was dealing with family issues that caused me to miss a couple weeks in the gym). I've been back on SS since August 28, started at 185 on squat.

Should I do a minor reset and work on depth and power more, to come up faster? I'm trying to get up as fast as possible, but I'm slowing down as the weights get heavier.

Your form doesn't look too bad. I echo what has already been said. I think you may be a touch wide. I also think you just need to shove your ass up harder at the bottom to come back up. That should help ya.

Quote Originally Posted by bradd253 View Post
    Should I do a minor reset and work on depth and power more, to come up faster? I'm trying to get up as fast as possible, but I'm slowing down as the weights get heavier.
    Don't worry about a reset. Make the form corrections stated here starting with your first empty bar warm up. Film it, and all of your sets, and watch each one before doing your next set so you can correct things more expeditiously.

I would also suggest touching base with Mia. As she's seen you squat live, she may be able to give you better feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    To add to the previous posts, i think you start your descent by pushing back your hips first, make sure you to push your knees forward at the same time.