starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rings and hands.

Default Rings and hands.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am working my way through the Rippetoe Q&A's tabs (working backwards from 500, at 390ish) in an effort to avoid asking an especially stupid question. I haven't seen this asked yet, but I'm impatient enough to risk humiliation.

Should I wear my wedding ring during sessions? My concerns are 1) damage to the hand and 2) damage to the ring (in that order). In the event weight plays a role in the answer, I am currently at (3x5's for all but deads) 315 squat, 145 bench, 45's (dumbbell) press, 305 deads.

As a secondary concern, I plan on continuing my progression around as far as my post-40 frame will take me short of a catastrophic injury (rupture, break, spinal event). Will hand size change as grip strength increases, requiring either a resizing of the ring and/or a different answer to my first question?

Thanks in advance.

I've never really heard of anyone actually injuring themselves while wearing a ring and training. However, I work in an industrial environment and have seen enough pictures of de-gloving injuries (the squeamish should NOT google for this) to know that I don't want to be the first that I'm aware of, so I don't wear a ring while training.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Middle-aged Dad View Post
    Should I wear my wedding ring during sessions?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    I've never really heard of anyone actually injuring themselves while wearing a ring and training.
    I have. Not loss-of-finger level, but enough for a reasonably deep cut. Usually involves a faster movement like power cleans, or losing the grip during deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Middle-aged Dad View Post
    Will hand size change as grip strength increases, requiring either a resizing of the ring and/or a different answer to my first question?
    Possibly. Mostly depends on whether you've done a significant amount of work with your hands in the past. Well, that and genetics.

If you don't damage your finger, you'll damage the ring. Also, if you're losing that much weight , its probably not going to fit correctly anymore.

Here is a thread I started last year based on the same question: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ding-ring.html

I've taken to not wearing the ring to the gym, especially on deadlift days, as that is the main lift where I have an issue with a ring.

-RJP

There was a thread on this a few years ago in either the generic training section or in Ends & Pieces. I usually train without my ring on, but have left it on a few times. I prefer ringless lifting. Just guessing, but I think you'll notice the ring more with the explosive lifts.

Too late...I just googled it... makes me appreciate my boring office job more...

I wear my ring and the only thing I've noticed is I get a bigger callous below it on my hand and on skinnier pull-up bars it can be painful if I don't set my grip just right. But on barbells I've rarely noticed it, although at 6'4 I have big hands and really long fingers so I've got a lot to work with when it comes getting my grip just right, ymmv.

I've pinched the skin/callous at the base of my ring finger while deadlifting, so I stopped wearing my wedding ring. Like Steve, I've never heard of anyone getting seriously injured, but de-gloving type injuries were also in the back of my mind when I made that decision.

starting strength coach development program
    I leave my ring behind when I lift because it alters my grip slightly. The last thing I need to add to my problems is an avoidable grip issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast