starting strength gym

Thread: Second time injuring my back

Default Second time injuring my back

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    August 2014: Doing starting strength regularly, felt a sharp pain on my lower back while performing my 3rd set of 5 squats. Although I stopped my session immediately, still had 2-3 weeks of intense pain where it was painful to stay in almost any position without back support. Fast forward 3 months, during which I had several PT sessions, one MRI (which revealed a bulging disc at L5-S1), the pain was basically gone, so I resumed my training with SS.

December 2015: Doing starting strength regularly, felt a sharp pain on my lower back while performing my 1st set of deadlifts. Stopped exercising immediately, but it's been hard to deal with the pain once again. Still can't resume training, and have been wondering whether (or how) I should.

Would love to hear opinions/thoughts/recommendations.

You would really benefit from meeting with a coach in person so you can get your form squared away. Is the current pain you are feeling local to your back? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling down your glutes or legs?

I was constantly screwing up my back until I went to a SS seminar. A coach fixed me in a couple minutes and it was more productive than any other solution I've tried. Can't get fixed over the internet. Go away from here and get coached.

I injured my back twice in an 8-month span last year (likely minor lumbar herniation each time). Two main things, I believe, have prevented me from aggravating it further: getting a belt, and really focusing on controlling my squat descent. And, as has been said -- get someone to see you in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    You would really benefit from meeting with a coach in person so you can get your form squared away. Is the current pain you are feeling local to your back? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling down your glutes or legs?
    Yep, have been experiencing referred pain on glutes and legs... Hopefully they will go away soon.

I'll follow everyone's suggestion and contact a local SS trainer who can coach me on my squat and deadlift forms.

Thanks!