starting strength gym

Thread: Going Backwards

Default Going Backwards

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi. I have a question regarding programming. I've been working through an LP for about 6 months now. I'm at the point where every workout is pretty much a limit set. I worked up to 190x3x5, but once I increased to 192.5, everything fell apart. I only managed to get one set of three. So I had my light workout on Wednesday at 170 ( which didn't feel very light) and attempted 192.5 again yesterday. It was even worse, I was only able to manage one rep, then failed. I was frustrated, and I still wanted to do something, so I decreased to 175 and did four more sets of three, which felt more difficult than they should have. I know it's time to switch to an intermediate program, but I don't think that in the state I was in yesterday that I could even manage a 3RM @ 190 now. I feel as if I'm going backwards now Any suggestions on what I should do. Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

Sarah,

I assume we're talking about squat and for 3 sets of 5 right? At this point its probably time for a small deload week. How do the other lifts look?

Today is Sunday, Friday is Christmas...

So tomorrow squat: 175x5 only 1 set, complete the rest of the work (bench/press and deadlift) as prescribed.

Take Tues and Wed off.

Train Thurs: Squat 180x5 for only 1 set, complete the rest of the work (bench/press and deadlift) as prescribed.

Then take the rest of the week off.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry Matt, What I meant to say was I've been doing 5 sets of three. I assume the deload week would still pretty much be the same though, but maybe doing two sets of 175x3 instead of two maybe?

Correct. What's your age and bodyweight?

Are you traveling this week? Really try to make this week a recovery week if you can. Eat a bunch of good calorie-dense food, get extra sleep, etc.

Then let's see how you feel next Monday.

I am actually taking a trip later this week to visit family for the holidays. I'm 34 years old, and weigh 140 lbs.

I usually do reps for Jesus on Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCoffee View Post
    I usually do reps for Jesus on Christmas.
    Me too, then I usually drink wine for him afterward.

Sarah,
    You hit all reps with 190 for 5 sets of three, correct? Did you increase to 192.5 before trying 5's at this weight? After 6 months, you may not be able to keep adding 2.5 - 5lbs to the bar everytime....and you said you have a light day in there. Are you going heavy the other two days? Just trying to get a better idea of what your week looks like with in regards to your squat. Any re-sets in there? I train a lot of women at my gym (70% women) so any extra information you can provide is helpful! Thanks!
    Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Socolinsky View Post
    Sarah,
    You hit all reps with 190 for 5 sets of three, correct? Did you increase to 192.5 before trying 5's at this weight? After 6 months, you may not be able to keep adding 2.5 - 5lbs to the bar everytime....and you said you have a light day in there. Are you going heavy the other two days? Just trying to get a better idea of what your week looks like with in regards to your squat. Any re-sets in there? I train a lot of women at my gym (70% women) so any extra information you can provide is helpful! Thanks!
    Emily
    Yes, I got all reps with 190 for five sets of three. They were difficult, but not "bone crushing" hard. I submitted one of my sets, and Matt informed me that they were good and solid. The next workout, which was Monday, I attempted 192.5 and failed out on the first set.Wednesday I did a light workout @ 170lbs 3x3. On Friday I attempted the 192.5 and again failed. I've been running the LP program for about six months now. The only time I reset was during a period when my squats were getting a little high. I reset 10% and fixed the depth problem. For about the last month I've been implementing a midweek light day, at 90% Monday's load. So I'm lifting heavy twice a week with a midweek offload. I'm going to resume training tomorrow. I've been on vacation for like 12 days. Any suggestions from where I should go from here? Thank you so much Emily

starting strength coach development program
    Hi Sarah,
    Thank you! I would suggest getting back into the swing of things after your vacation with a reset. Work up to a heavy set of five (reset weight, 10%) for one set. One. More and you may be pretty sore the next day and thereafter. The next time you squat, work up to three sets of 5 with the same weight. Continue your program, adding 2.5 pounds to your heavy days until you get stuck again. Doing triples then five or sets of five if that works for you. Once you get stuck again...wherever that is, then I would suggest switching up your program and dividing your three squat days into volume, light and heavy. After about 5 months or so, most of my women do quite well moving into a more Texas methodish training. We do not do this with their other lifts, just the squat. This is done after at least two-three resets. The ladies handle this weight and intensity pretty well and only after they have really been stuck. Keep with your program until you work back up to 190 and perhaps even beyond. When you get stuck again, let's consider adjusting your program a bit so you are not squatting heavy two days out of the week. But for now, take advantage of the vacation and break, reset and work back up. Let me know if you have any questions.