starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello coaches,
    I would be very grateful if you could have a quick look at today's set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu6X8CovfVE#t=43s

Thanks

Why are you wearing a leather bra?

If we want to get technical, it's actually an artificial leather bra from strengthshop UK. Currently, its the only way i can setup correctly with my 4 inch belt. I'm surprised the nappy look wasn't the first point of interest to be honest.

It does no good whatsoever wrapped around your rib cage.

The belt is a tool to use proprioception it engender a harder contraction of the abdominal muscles. If it does not touch the abdominal muscles, it cannot perform this function.

Beyond that:

You didn't finish reps 1-3, you need to stand all the way up like on rep 5, and you didn't finish rep 5 because you dropped it. This might be a little over-long for a set of 5 - any longer and it would essentially be 5 singles. You also spend a lot of time on your heels. Stay on the middle of your foot. The ability to sense this is one of the primary reasons for using weightlifting shoes.

Alright thanks alot Steve. Will remind myself to lockout in future and get it done faster. I will also try out some weightlifting shoes to pull in.
    I may also experiment with a different belt position but i physically cannot get a neutral spine at the start of the deadlift with any lower sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoEats View Post
    Alright thanks alot Steve. Will remind myself to lockout in future and get it done faster. I will also try out some weightlifting shoes to pull in.
    I may also experiment with a different belt position but i physically cannot get a neutral spine at the start of the deadlift with any lower sadly.
    Ah, I see, so logically it follows to put it around your chest? How the heck do you take a deep breath?

JUST DON'T WEAR IT

I never wear a belt so tight that i cannot get a full breath of air in on any lift.
    Obviously I have tried not wearing it and in fact my initial plan was to lift beltless until the 3 inch belt that i ordered in october arrived. However as it's been over 10 weeks and there is still no sign of it i tried to make the best of what i had.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoEats View Post
    I never wear a belt so tight that i cannot get a full breath of air in on any lift.
    Obviously I have tried not wearing it and in fact my initial plan was to lift beltless until the 3 inch belt that i ordered in october arrived. However as it's been over 10 weeks and there is still no sign of it i tried to make the best of what i had.
    I am trying to help you see why your logic is wrong. Have I succeeded? Either the belt is tight enough to provide "support" and it would hinder breath, or its loose enough to breath and is useless. And in any case is not in contact with the abz, and thus does not provide the proper proprioceptive feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    Look i understand why the position is suboptimal for the reasons you listed and very much appreciative of the feedback. Of course it is tight enough to give some support, I was explaining that it doesn't prevent me taking in enough air to actually use it. I don't wear it loose like a piece of clothing!

I prefer to wear it in the position that can be seen here as this is where i feel i can brace against it best. If i wear it in an "under the gut" fashion as Rippetoe does in his 500lb deadlift video, it just rides up my hip bones throughout the set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGNeO5yR1Ic#t=0m42s

However with a deadlift and my current belt, my options were basically:
    1. Pull without a belt and be weaker
    2. Pull with a belt in the normal position, be stronger but be unable to fully setup correctly
    3. Pull with the belt higher, be stronger and be able to setup better.

If my 3 inch belt had actually got here, this discussion would never have taken place. I ordered it from bestbelts on october 18th 2015 and still have not even recieved one of their confirmation emails to tell me that a craftsman has actually started work on it, let alone actually shipped the thing. I sent a follow up email on December 23rd which also has not been responded too. I don't mind waiting a bit but it would be nice to know what's happened to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast