starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Progressing Too Cautiously?

Default Progressing Too Cautiously?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,

I've read SS many times over, searched this website, and scoured google for thoughts but haven't been able to come up with an answer:

I've mountain biked for 6 years and several times took up weight lifting only to drop it after a month or so. In other words, I'm a complete novice. The biggest issue I face is that I injure my tendons quite easily (used to have shoulder issues after doing push ups, and my knees will seize up unless I stretch my legs religiously every day).

I'm currently 3 weeks into SS and have done everything as recommended, not adding anything to the program or subtracting. I'm also trying to eat as much as possible.

My question is this: due to my propensity for injuring my joints I'm wary of making more than 5 lb jumps in any exercise. Is this a problem? Am I wasting my initial ability to make rapid gains? If it's not an issue, how should I adjust my diet to reflect this slower progression (so that I'm not gaining excessive weight without putting it to good use)? Here's my progression over the past 10 workouts:

Squat: 45-90 lb in steady 5lb increments
    Bench: 85-105 in steady 5 lb increments (wasn't able to complete 3x5 at 105 last workout, not sure why but chalking it up to not eating enough that morning, poor technique, and dehydration)
    Press: 45-65 in steady 5 lb increments
    Deadlift: 115-160 in steady 5 lb increments

All this other shit goes down to the sub-forums later, but how do you know you're injuring your tendons?

What's with starting off the bench at 85lbs and the squat at 45lbs even with 6 years of mountain biking? The math doesn't add up here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    All this other shit goes down to the sub-forums later, but how do you know you're injuring your tendons?
    Maybe tendon isn't correct, but I frequently get patellofemoral pain. I understand that squats, performed correctly don't cause this, and in fact my knee pain has been going away as I stretch and perform the exercises, but I'm still worried about doing one incorrect squat and then being sidelined for weeks with knee pain.

Should I keep going with the 5 lb increases or is it necessary for me to make use of my novice status and bump it up 10 lb at a time if bar speed is good? I'd prefer to go up 5 lb at a time unless this defeats the purpose of the program (YNDTP?).

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99 View Post
    Maybe tendon isn't correct, but I frequently get patellofemoral pain. I understand that squats, performed correctly don't cause this, and in fact my knee pain has been going away as I stretch and perform the exercises, but I'm still worried about doing one incorrect squat and then being sidelined for weeks with knee pain.
    Right. Okay...

beefcake? Lol...

Why are you worried about injury squatting 90lb but not when mountain biking?. Mountain biking is associated with various fractures, head and neck injuries. Even the competitive barbell sports have a ridiculously low injury rate in comparison.

Don't squat and don't deadlift. In fact, don't press overhead either. Bench only, start with a Rogue women's bar (35 lbs), do two sets of 5 1x/week and microload 1/4 lb each week. You'll probably need a deload week after a month or so, in fact, just take a week off after a month, then re-set, starting with the empty bar. Keep doing this, after a year you should still be benching 35 lbs for 2 sets of 5 which isn't that great, but you won't get hurt. You probably won't get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    beefcake? Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99
    I'm currently 3 weeks into SS and have done everything as recommended, not adding anything to the program or subtracting.
    What is your height, weight, and age? Have you posted a form check? How did you select your starting weights at the beginning of the program?
    Last edited by murphyreedus; 01-12-2016 at 09:58 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    Don't squat and don't deadlift. In fact, don't press overhead either. Bench only, start with a Rogue women's bar (35 lbs), do two sets of 5 1x/week and microload 1/4 lb each week. You'll probably need a deload week after a month or so, in fact, just take a week off after a month, then re-set, starting with the empty bar. Keep doing this, after a year you should still be benching 35 lbs for 2 sets of 5 which isn't that great, but you won't get hurt. You probably won't get hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast