starting strength gym
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat through the sticking points..puuukkeee

Default Eat through the sticking points..puuukkeee

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Has anybody actually applied that article to their own training by eating cakes + a gallon of milk a day + 2 double cheesburgers every single day? If so how in the hell did you manage to not turn yourself into a "my 800 pound life" episode? I mean if it worked for you im interested to hear it but imo i dont see why anybody would do that unless you are about 7% bf and are planning to bulk up to 20~30%.

O I understand man. What I don't understand is who exactly would need a diet like this other than a superheavyweight or maybe a heavyweight powerlifter?

Sumo wrestlers. The best sport.

I respect Marty Gallagher but his writing is always incredibly embellished.. and in this case I think that's the least you can say about the article we're talking about. I could go off in a million directions here but what's the point? It has all been done before. This went down in 2012. Big drama. Ensuing ridicule. (And u been around since then OP u pose to know all this) The goodies are out there for anyone to look up. Come to think of it I wish someone would create a massive thread with links and background info for all the epic battles and torrential shitstorms from over the years (lyle mcd, pendlay, MVP trolls, etc) That's the real entertainment of this place.... I'm getting a little off track. The only thing I guess I'll say is that i do thnk it was pretty irresonsible for Rip and Marty to put that article out without mentioning that any of those lifters were on drugs. This is not a trivial matter--quite teh opposite!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    O I understand man. What I don't understand is who exactly would need a diet like this other than a superheavyweight or maybe a heavyweight powerlifter?
    Skinny guys, man. I had a 26-year old guy start training with me who was <125# @ 5'11" tall. It took him six solid months of disgusting and glorious eating to get up to (wait for it)....

165 lbs. You think we should have told him to count his macros?

You realize Rip wants a man 5'8" in cutting distance of 275? Did you watch the Onnit podcast (or maybe it was another one around the same time). Dude's been on record saying trainees need to eat 7,000Kcal a day! gilchrest wants to let him off the hook and chalk it up to hyperbole but I don't think that's fair or right.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Diebolt View Post
    I respect Marty Gallagher but his writing is always incredibly embellished.. and in this case I think that's the least you can say about the article we're talking about. I could go off in a million directions here but what's the point? It has all been done before. This went down in 2012. Big drama. Ensuing ridicule. (And u been around since then OP u pose to know all this) The goodies are out there for anyone to look up. Come to think of it I wish someone would create a massive thread with links and background info for all the epic battles and torrential shitstorms from over the years (lyle mcd, pendlay, MVP trolls, etc) That's the real entertainment of this place.... I'm getting a little off track. The only thing I guess I'll say is that i do thnk it was pretty irresonsible for Rip and Marty to put that article out without mentioning that any of those lifters were on drugs. This is not a trivial matter--quite teh opposite!
    You talking about the same article, Will?

Ah shit my memory's going. This was two years ago. Figured it was a Gallagher piece. I guess my credibility takes a hit but I stand by everytin else

This article, as well as many of Rip's nutritional recommendations, are meant to have people over-aim in order to end up at the right place. Just as we sometimes say "push through the heels" to people who are on their toes, we give a cue that isn't supposed to be literally followed.

A person who is squatting on their toes and trying to push through their heels will usually end up correctly positioned over the midfoot. Similarly, someone who should be eating 4000 calories may be told to aim for 6000 in order to get him in the right direction, knowing full well that he won't actually eat that much.

The obvious disadvantage of this is that some people, usually with great discipline but poor understanding, will follow those instructions literally and religiously. Tom Narvaez was a pretty good example of this. But that's the risk you run when dealing with the masses. There are always exceptions.

starting strength coach development program
    I think we're talking about Reynolds' article...

http://startingstrength.com/articles...s_reynolds.pdf

The "What would I do differently?" section of this article is important to note here.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast