starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do hookers...

Default How do hookers...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    ...tape their thumbs, if they hook their DLs? Just looking for specifics as I switched to hooking from an alternate grip to keep the pull symmetrical. Thanks.

I don't. It's rough at first, but you'll adapt.

no tape, tape sucks. the thumb will get tougher. Chalk thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    no tape, tape sucks. the thumb will get tougher. Chalk thats it.
    Agreed. Tape can slip. After 2-3 workouts your thumbs will be fine.

I tape my delicate lady hands. I wrap a piece of tape (pink of course) twice around, not so tight that I can't bend my thumb a little bit.

Forget what these guys said. Tape 'em up.

First, do 6 or so inch piece of tape around the middle of the thumb, which should get you about two times around, and don't pull it too tightly if you want to easily bend your thumb. Then, with a shorter piece, tape over the end of the thumb, slightly overlapping the first piece of tape so it still extends a little past the end of the thumbnail, and pinch it closed at the end.

I've also been told that taping the end of the middle finger makes the grip even more secure, but I'll admit I've never tried it (although my wife has, and found it to be true).

Don't mind the band-aid. That's from when I tried to cut the end of my finger off when peeling fruit to make a cocktail.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post

First, do 6 or so inch piece of tape around the middle of the thumb, which should get you about two times around, and don't pull it too tightly if you want to easily bend your thumb. Then, with a shorter piece, tape over the end of the thumb, slightly overlapping the first piece of tape so it still extends a little past the end of the thumbnail, and pinch it closed at the end.

I've also been told that taping the end of the middle finger makes the grip even more secure, but I'll admit I've never tried it (although my wife has, and found it to be true).

Don't mind the band-aid. That's from when I tried to cut the end of my finger off when peeling fruit to make a cocktail.

I don't think most powerlifting federations allow that much tape, if that matters to anyone.

I think USAPL is two layers.

I don't tape any more, but when I started learning the hook, the most important thing I learned was to tape with my thumb bent and to tape very loosely. Two layers should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post

I am robo thumb!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    I think USAPL is two layers.

I don't tape any more, but when I started learning the hook, the most important thing I learned was to tape with my thumb bent and to tape very loosely. Two layers should be enough.
    Usapl is 2 layers on the thumb.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast