starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing press assistive lifts?

Default Standing press assistive lifts?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Triceps extensions are really helping my bench numbers increase but my standing press is stalling - what are some good assistive lifts to help in the standing press?

1. Post a form video (also, which version of the standing press are you doing?). Maybe there are some adjustments you can make that will help.

2. Where's your sticking point in the press?

Here are my current numbers:
    Weight: 215
    Bench press - 155 (3 x 5)
    Press - 98 (3 x 5)
    Squat - 180 (3 x 5)
    Deadlift - 200 (1 x 5)

I read in the book that a push press assists the with the press but he says it's hard on your knees at heavy weights. I understand that 98 lbs is not what he was talking about when he said heavy weight but I was just wondering if there was other types of assistance lifts.

What's your height?

Your press isn't bad considering your other lifts. You MUST microload at some point, however, if you want to keep adding weight. Same goes for the bench press, sooner or later.

If you lift in a gym, take your own sets of microplates with you.

IMO . . .Your numbers look about right 155 BP vs. 98 OHP . . .seems normal.
    If anything, compared to the typical gym bro/novice . . .I'd say the ratio is better than alot of what I've seen.

You realize increases on OHP will be very slow and small.
    These are little muscles and bad leverages, the "standing up w/ weight" is more difficult.
    Most people have to micro-load OHP after a certain point to see any progress.
    Stalling comes easy with these. . .IMO

yeah I've been microloading for a while now and I have not stalled at all in the BP every since but the OHP just stalled. I went up to 103 on the OHP but I was missing reps and my form was breaking so I reasoned that everything else being equal since I'm doing the assistance work for the BP and not for the OHP, that might be the reason.

Worrying about your press when you're squatting 180 is the wrong thing to focus on imo. Get your squat to 300 and what do you think will happen to your press?
    If you do want to focus a bit on your press just press more, a couple of back off sets after your 3x5 maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    Worrying about your press when you're squatting 180 is the wrong thing to focus on imo. Get your squat to 300 and what do you think will happen to your press?
    If you do want to focus a bit on your press just press more, a couple of back off sets after your 3x5 maybe.
    This^.
    Also, may sound like BS....but if your squat and DL improves, your upper and lower back, traps, core and shit will be no doubt stronger....and those muscles "figure into" posture on the standing press.
    (Nobody is probably going to get this reference, but yeah, squats ARE magical pixie fairy dust, you fucktard at Sebastian Fitness)
    Last edited by MBasic; 03-20-2015 at 11:53 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Some have said that they ultimately just needed more volume to progress upper body lifts. I don't see why push presses would hurt your knees. Those and partials help some people. Stronger triceps do to. I think that pull ups and chin ups help with general upper body strength and benching should be pushing up your press too.

It looks to me like the spread between the two is perfectly normal. I wouldn't be worried....yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast