starting strength gym

Thread: Programming for Older Women

Default Programming for Older Women

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My wife and I are both 64. She began SS last August. Before this, never lifted weights; however, always active with aerobics, step and now something called Barre.

Initial weights: squat 75, press 45, dead 75.
    Current weights: squat 105 (still trying to get to depth), press 54, dead 125. This is after some set back last fall due to holidays and flu.

I have no idea what she weighs. Even if I knew, I wouldn't say for fear of my life.

My question, finally: In the PP3 chapter dealing with women, it suggests, due to neuromuscular efficiencies, etc., that women can do sets across for deadlifts. Is this strictly meant for younger women, or could it apply to my wife's program?

Thanks for reading.

I would not have a novice 64-year old woman doing sets across on the deadlift unless there were some compelling reason to do so. There is no use squatting 105 pounds above parallel, either. Use a weight that your wife can move over the full range of motion. Do not be afraid to seek assistance from a qualified coach here, too. Atlanta has a number of Starting Strength Coaches.

Thanks, Tom.