starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's a cool goal to set yourself (cardio/con)

Default What's a cool goal to set yourself (cardio/con)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Looking for ideas for something like, but not, the marathon. Or rather like a 10 mile run in terms of difficulty. But without running. I fracking hate running.

I recently started doing airbike and deadmill intervals.

But I don't really have any medium/long term goals and it's only when I set such goals that I get really going.

Looking for something a little fun if possible, because cardio is so boring.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Looking for ideas for something like, but not, the marathon. Or rather like a 10 mile run in terms of difficulty. But without running. I fracking hate running.

I recently started doing airbike and deadmill intervals.

But I don't really have any medium/long term goals and it's only when I set such goals that I get really going.

Looking for something a little fun if possible, because cardio is so boring.
    Do you have access to a rower? There's an active international erg-ing community, so you could enter 5K and/or 10K erg-ing competitions.

I hate cardio. But I hate these stupid erg competitions slightly less than other cardio shit.

12 rounds of 20 yard 140 lbs prowler pushes with a minute rest between each without puking.

There are as many goals as you can think up.

Maybe try maintaining a sub 2:00/500m pace for 30 consecutive minutes?

What kind of airbike? You can set calorie for time goals. But don't set expectations based on another type. The calorie count on the Assault Bike is different from the Airdyne. I have no idea what would be a reasonable number for a minute on the Assualt bike. I saw a video where a guy did 66 cals. That's nuts. I think I found a video where a guy did 80 something. That's insane. He was peaking at over 134 rpms. I can't push it past 114. He looked to be about 40 pounds heavier than me too.

There are some real freaks on the C2 rowing leader board. They make me feel sad. . . . I'd simply like to do a 1:28 500m. I don't want to beat Froning's 1:24 or anything like that. (Though I'm still waiting on one of our illustrious forum members to do it.)

From my rectum:

<7 min 2000k row
    <1:30 500m row
    ~6 minute mile
    >50 cal in a minute on the Assault Bike

The specifics should be tweaked a bit, but these all seem pretty close in terms of ambitiousness. And they are achievable by mere mortals. Smaller people will struggle with all but the run.

A full Marathon is a great goal for any well rounded athlete to have and this goal can be achieved in less than a couple years of training.I ran my first full Marathon in 2010 and squatted 500 pounds 100% RAW the same week,so it's definetly possible to maintain a decent level of strength as a Marathon runner.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Do you have access to a rower? There's an active international erg-ing community, so you could enter 5K and/or 10K erg-ing competitions.

I hate cardio. But I hate these stupid erg competitions slightly less than other cardio shit.
    So that's where you disappeared to!

A good, attainable goal that will have you fit is 100 burpees in <3min.
    Start of with 5 sets of 20, reduce rest over time, increase reps, until you go from 2x50 to 1x100.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    A good, attainable goal that will have you fit is 100 burpees in <3min.
    Start of with 5 sets of 20, reduce rest over time, increase reps, until you go from 2x50 to 1x100.
    Burpees seem like the exercise with the most inconsistent technique out there. The difference between standing up with a slight skip and jumping explosively high up makes a huge difference for how many you can do.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Burpees seem like the exercise with the most inconsistent technique out there. The difference between standing up with a slight skip and jumping explosively high up makes a huge difference for how many you can do.
    And do you have to do a push up or not? if so, can you do it like a worm?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast