starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: re-started working out after months already having issues

Default re-started working out after months already having issues

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    hey guys, i've just started working out again but am already having some issues so wanted to check in here.

so i havent worked out in close to a year. i just restarted on mon. am doing starting strength again.

now first concern is, im feeling something slight in my left knee. i wouldnt say its pain, yet, but feels like it might get there. which is concerning because its still an empty bar. and resting is not the answer obviously, since i couldnt have had a longer rest.

i wouldnt say i have any injuries but i was working out pretty regularly in the first few months of 2014, and i do remember in feb and march i wasnt squatting because my left knee was a bit tender. but in april i had started squatting again so i figured i'm OK.

i should also mention that i'm feeling sensation in my back as well. in the past i've had a weak lower back, and i think that was aggravated by working out. was never really sure. but now through going to a chiropractor i dont get back pain anymore. but after these 2 sessions, again doing just an empty bar, although im not experiencing any real pain yet, it seems like i might soon.

i realize when you do compound lifts you can easily fuck up your body but im really careful with form. not saying im perfect but i was being careful for sure. ive attached a video, hope you can let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LSiVxdU1LRI

btw i should add, gaining strength is not necessarily my top priority. #1 would be something simple, #2 would be fat loss, and strength gain is #3. with that said i still went with SS because i'm most familiar with it, and because i figure losing fat is 80% a function of diet not exercise. let me know if you suggest changing the workout as well.

thanks!
    dan

ps - i'm looking up in the video even though SS says to look down. i used to look down for the longest time but i felt it was hard to keep my chest upright when doing so, my hips had a tendency to come up higher than they should in relation to my back while looking down. looking up fixes that. that's why i do that. if its a big deal let me know.

When you've been inactive and start doing stuff, you get all sorts of odd little aches and pains. It's just your body saying, "what the fuck?!" to activity. Generally these disappear after the first few weeks.

For your squats, you need to look down, and think of having your chest pointing at the floor - currently you're doing front squats with the bar on your back. Review this thread and post your technique checks in that forum, you'll get more useful responses that way. Really I'm just here to say, don't worry too much if you get twinges here and there.

thanks man

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
    hey guys, i've just started working out again but am already having some issues so wanted to check in here.

so i havent worked out in close to a year. i just restarted on mon. am doing starting strength again.

now first concern is, im feeling something slight in my left knee. i wouldnt say its pain, yet, but feels like it might get there. which is concerning because its still an empty bar. and resting is not the answer obviously, since i couldnt have had a longer rest.

i wouldnt say i have any injuries but i was working out pretty regularly in the first few months of 2014, and i do remember in feb and march i wasnt squatting because my left knee was a bit tender. but in april i had started squatting again so i figured i'm OK.

i should also mention that i'm feeling sensation in my back as well. in the past i've had a weak lower back, and i think that was aggravated by working out. was never really sure. but now through going to a chiropractor i dont get back pain anymore. but after these 2 sessions, again doing just an empty bar, although im not experiencing any real pain yet, it seems like i might soon.

i realize when you do compound lifts you can easily fuck up your body but im really careful with form. not saying im perfect but i was being careful for sure. ive attached a video, hope you can let me know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=LSiVxdU1LRI

btw i should add, gaining strength is not necessarily my top priority. #1 would be something simple, #2 would be fat loss, and strength gain is #3. with that said i still went with SS because i'm most familiar with it, and because i figure losing fat is 80% a function of diet not exercise. let me know if you suggest changing the workout as well.

thanks!
    dan

ps - i'm looking up in the video even though SS says to look down. i used to look down for the longest time but i felt it was hard to keep my chest upright when doing so, my hips had a tendency to come up higher than they should in relation to my back while looking down. looking up fixes that. that's why i do that. if its a big deal let me know.
    Dan,

I don't think the Starting Strength program is right for you. It's hard, uncomfortable, and scary sometimes. It works really fucking well, but it's pretty clear that doesn't matter to you.

I've bolded some of the things above that indicate that you're not ready to go through what it takes to have success with heavy barbell lifting. Hope you don't take offense, but it's probably better if you decide now whether this is actually the program or the place for you.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    It's hard, uncomfortable, and scary sometimes. It works really fucking well, but it's pretty clear that doesn't matter to you.
    I agree with Adam that it sounds like Starting Strength probably isn't for you.

Minor to moderate aches, pains and things feeling strange are to be expected. My left knee will often feel tender or off, but that feeling tends to go away once I get to three plates on the warm ups. If I took a layoff anytime something didn't feel perfect I'd never get any lifting in. But then I know I'd feel 100x worse not lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I responded to nearly the same post in the technique subforum. Oh well.
    I don't think posting on the SS boards is the right program for you, mgilchrest. :P

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Honestly, I was just hoping to see Halle Berry's boobies.
    I was gonna order mine pan-seared with the mango salsa, but your way sounds better.

I agree with Adam, Spiny, and Mgilchrest. I'm not sure what program Swordfish should try but it sure isn't one that is designed to build strength and in the process cause pain. Maybe that one that asks you not to exercise but pay a small fee to sucker one in. There are plenty of those.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinyNorman View Post
    I agree with Adam that it sounds like Starting Strength probably isn't for you.

Minor to moderate aches, pains and things feeling strange are to be expected. My left knee will often feel tender or off, but that feeling tends to go away once I get to three plates on the warm ups. If I took a layoff anytime something didn't feel perfect I'd never get any lifting in. But then I know I'd feel 100x worse not lifting.
    Wholly crap man....if I started to list all my aches and pains & injuries I will break some fucking record for the longest thread.....there is damn good reason why 95% of the lifters in a commercial gym don't lift the way we do....

ITS HARD FUCKING WORK AND PUTS DEMANDS ON YOUR BODY THAT YOUR BODY WILL BEG YOU TO PLEASE STOP....BUT WE DON'T...

ICE, ICE, ICE....ADVIL....MORE ICE....TRIGGER POINT THERAPY......WHATEVER IT TAKES...

I don't want to get into my regiment...will take too long....

I am 59 been training for 46 years....my body has seen it all....and hopefully I don't add anymore....

starting strength coach development program
    IDK Lou, I just think there are 2 types of people in this world. The ones that bitch about minor aches and pains and the ones that don't.

Seriously, everyone has minor aches and pains, it's a fact of life. Even the people that don't "lift the way we do..." They probably just don't do it because they don't want to make it worse. It's true that we have slightly different aches and pains, but a life without aches and pains every now and then is pretty much non-existent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast