starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prowler questions

Default prowler questions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    For those of you who use a prowler or similar equipment, how much damage does it do to the grass in yard if that's where you use it? And if on the street, how much noise does it make? My schedule is such that if I get one, I'd be using it at 9:30-10:00 at night, and I don't want to annoy the neighbors.

Thanks.

I have the knock off Dicks version and I push it in my backyard. When the ground is soft it will sometimes take a pelt like a golf divot when the yard is uneven and the skid digs a bit. When it's dry there is no problem. Granted I only push it with two 25s but that's more than enough for me on grass.

Quote Originally Posted by eppyg View Post
    And if on the street, how much noise does it make? My schedule is such that if I get one, I'd be using it at 9:30-10:00 at night, and I don't want to annoy the neighbors.
    I would say not all that much, but it depends on how anal your neighbors are about noise that late. We run it on both concrete and asphalt, and even at heavier weights it makes less noise than a small lawnmower.

We use mine in the park behind my house. I saw a google satellite image of my place once and had to laugh at the track we made that you could see from space!
    It works well on grass here during the Winter, it's a lot harder to push when that stuff starts to grow.
    We just started not using the same path every time and it limits the damage.

I bought a Christensen Founder's Fitness (CFF) knock-off one. . . .its like the one KOTJ recommended. Its a little more compact than the actual Elite FTS 'Prowler'. The weights go front to back, instead of the big triangle design. Looks more like a sled design. Point is: its alot smaller and easier to move around & store. I can pop the vertical handles off and throw it in the back of a small SUV/compact truck alot easier than the bigger version (I would think.). I've taken it out to an empty parking lot late at night before . . . .

I never tried on grass;
    Do you grass-guys have a problem with traction, seems like you'd need cleats? at least to start off initially . . . or you'd have to dial the weight way back?
    Last edited by MBasic; 04-21-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Thanks for all the information. Our neighborhood is pretty quiet, so even a quiet lawnmower might be too much. So sounds like grass is the better way for me. But the question about traction occurred to me, too. What do y'all think?

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    If your feet slide easier, so will the prowler. Learned this pushing during rain and snow.
    I see. I'm going to try once just to see, in grass. I guess the weight of the prowler vs. weight of the pusher too comes into play.

eppyg: don't fret the details too much; the prowler is the best thing I've ever bought (re:home ex. equipment) . . . .Just get one and start using it / experiment.

Dry grass it's fine unless it catches something on the ground. Wet grass it completely destroys. It's very loud on pavement.

MBasic: point we'll taken. Looking forward to getting one. Thanks again for everyone's advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post

I never tried on grass;
    Do you grass-guys have a problem with traction, seems like you'd need cleats? at least to start off initially . . . or you'd have to dial the weight way back?
    Yep, cleats, and not much weight, especially on wet grass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast