starting strength gym

Thread: Back Injury - Is it form related?

Default Back Injury - Is it form related?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First time poster here. Need a form check. I've been laid up for the last two weeks with a lower back injury. A little background... I have been dealing with this type of injury since I was about 19. I've never had it thoroughly looked into. It usually only lasts about 2 days and then I feel better. The last two times though it's been different and recovery has taken about 2 weeks. (getting old(40) - Go figure) I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor this Friday to try and get to the root cause. It usually happens within a day after a strenuous workout or a rough race (I race 2-hour long off-road motocross races called Hare Scrambles). Both of the last two times this has happened it was when I hit 255# squat and a 285# deadlift. Those were the numbers the first time I had this long recovery issue and those were the exact same numbers I had when I hurt myself this time again.

I've spent a lot of time reading(and re-reading) starting strength and practical programming. I've watched a ton of videos and lurked the hell out of the forum trying to improve my form. This injury has been REALLY depressing. Trying to snap myself out of it and stay positive. I love this program so much and love the lifts. Everyone around me keeps telling me to stop deads and squats. I get sick of hearing it. I listened to Rip's back injury podcast last night and it definitely made me feel more optimistic about the long term. I can't work through the pain right now as Rip suggests. It's too sharp and I can tell it would put me back another two weeks if I tried. I can barely reach down to wipe my own ass right now without feeling like I have a knife jammed in my back. I tried to work through it last week and it started the cycle all over and prolonged the injury.

I have posted two videos. The squat(230#) was from a few weeks ago. The Deadlift(285#) was from the day before my back freaked out. I know people are going to say get shoes and a belt. They are top of my priority list, but I have a budget and right now I'm tapped out. The belt will be ordered next week.

In the squat: Do I have the bar low enough? Am I closing my knee angle too much? Am I closing my hip angle enough? I really try to concentrate on hip drive. I do struggle with bar path and with not getting too far over my toes.. does that show in the video?

Help me fix this! Thanks in advance
    Deadlift
    https://youtu.be/xS7KDgU9ZRY
    Squat
    https://youtu.be/LXZR-TrwzQQ

You can get a bit tighter on your deadlift by lifting your chest more. You really need shoes. Your knees are going too far forward. Set your knees in the first 1/3rd of the squat and then lean over/reach back the rest of the way.

The real issue is that these aren't causing your back pain. I would guess that bouncing around on a motorcycle might be the culprit.

Thanks, Nick.

Went to the Doc and he said it's just sacroiliitis inflammation. I'm treating it with high dose naproxen and frequent ice.

Today was the first day back in the gym in over 2 weeks. I de-loaded and really tried to concentrate on keeping those knees back and my heals planted. Didn't get a video yet. Yes.. definitely need shoes. I agree.

To be honest, I haven't raced in a year and I've had limited seat time in the last 12 months, BUT the years of bodily abuse from racing are definitely what started it all. I do have a race coming up though...can't wait.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to listen to my back when I'm sore and not lift heavy on those days. These last two times I hurt myself were on days that I went in to the gym feeling already overly fatigued... Then I get in the gym, go through warm ups and then all of a sudden I'm feeling like I can go for a heavy PR. I need to stick to the plan on those days and not let ego take over.