starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training for rugby

Default Training for rugby

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm thinking of going back to play rugby next season approximately a year away and I was wondering if there's anyway to add some cardio in to ss because I need to be big strong and mobile on the pitch ( google new Zealand all blacks and that will give you an idea of what I mean). Any rugby players out there got any advice would be helpfull.
    Last edited by Dan3088; 09-18-2011 at 07:37 AM.

How big are you?

What are your numbers?

Most likely you need to just focus on the strength/size gains for the next 6-9 months, then worry about adding conditioning and rugby specific training and adjust the volume accordingly.

Check out the last few pages of my log. I am doing just that.

Your position will make a slight difference. But what texas said is right. Keep training for strength. You can start adding in prowler type conditioning (or sprint/hill intervals). Can also do you squats on shortened rest time on volume day. Depending on how competitive your team is though, you might be best off just getting stronger until season gets closer.

At the moment iv just got back off a three week holiday so I'm resetting my previous numbers were squat 122.5kg, bench 82.5kg press 60kg deadlift 110kg rows 65kg.
    I know my best dl is lower than my squat but this time around I'm gonna make sure I'm making bigger jumps with my deads and I'm gonna micro load my presses and bench to them higher but I'm wanting to do a bit conditioning aswell I was think bout doing 20 minutes jogging on the days between workouts.

Well position will be flanker and it will be fairly competitive.

You could do sprints for cardio, which will keep your running speed/technique up for rugby too. You could throw some jumping, bounding and agility work into this too, none of which will interfere with your strength training.

You can also do more "heavy stuff" like sled (or prowler) work, rope climbs/pulls, tyre flips, sandbag cleans etc.

You can also do stuff with barbells like times squats, deadlifts or powercleans etc but lifting things like tyres and sandbags from low ground replicated the awkwardness of handling people a lot better. You need a good strength base before trying all that stuff for cardio though, like the rope climbs for example. They would suck for cardio unless you were strong enough to get up several times pretty quickly.
    Last edited by Dastardly; 09-18-2011 at 03:59 PM.

So would sprints be ok to do now in the building strength faze?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan3088 View Post
    No point mixing your training targets so far out. PwrClns take care of your power work for now. Match fitness doesn't take long to build, so all you need to do is focus on power and strength for now, and add in conditioning work, 3-4 times a week, 6 weeks out from the season start. Maybe 10 weeks out start some easier conditioning.....keep it simple

Quote Originally Posted by Dan3088 View Post
    Sprints would be ok to do now. Running, especially when short and fast rather than a long slow grind will not interfere with your strength work. Rather it will enhance it.

ZZT should remember that running for a rugby player is not pointless cardio, but also an absolutely integral part of your sport. You can indeed leave a strong focus on conditioning till close till your playing season (when game practice will take care of most of it anyway).

But doing stuff like sprints now, is highly recommendable. Helps your strength & power gains from barbell work transfer better to the field. And also helps bodyparts like achilles tendons, foot arches and knee ligaments adapt/stay primed. Which will reduce chance of injure if you go straight from the weight room to the field come game season.

starting strength coach development program
    That's more what I wanted to hear I Definetly want to do some light sprints as long as I still get stronger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast