starting strength gym

Thread: Low ceiling chins

Default Low ceiling chins

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My basement has a pretty low ceiling. I can just barely press with 25 lb plates and 45's are out of the question.

I had been just barely brushing the top of my hair against the ceiling during chins and now that I built a platform, my chin up ROM has been effectively reduced.

Does anyone have an idea for modifying my rack / chin bar to make chin ups work with a low ceiling?

I considered this fat bar chin from Rogue, which suspends from an existing cross-member, but I think it's too thick and I wonder how much it will move when I use it.

No room in my basement to add any significant equipment.

Thanks,

And you can set it at a height where you have to bend your knees to swing free. (like with the door mounted bars).
    Last edited by veryhrm; 09-23-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Find a tree with smooth branches.

Thanks for the input so far.

I forgot to add that at present height, my 'chin' ups end when my nose reaches the bar (and my head taps the ceiling). I guess it's killing off about 4" form the top of the movement, which seems significant.

I'm contemplating affixing something to the existing bar (this is my rack) so that I don't have to mess with the safeties. I like the stability of the existing bar.

I set the j-hooks a foot below the ceiling and chin on the barbell. I have to bend my knees of course.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Thanks for the input so far.

I forgot to add that at present height, my 'chin' ups end when my nose reaches the bar (and my head taps the ceiling). I guess it's killing off about 4" form the top of the movement, which seems significant.

I'm contemplating affixing something to the existing bar (this is my rack) so that I don't have to mess with the safeties. I like the stability of the existing bar.
    Man, the force with which I'd smash my head into the ceiling doing this...