starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Third Annual Dr. Sullivan's The Year in Strength Science 2013

Default Our Third Annual Dr. Sullivan's The Year in Strength Science 2013

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...h_science_2013

Available nowhere else: the truth, and nothing but the truth.

I scanned through the report and it seems to be very well done. However, my short attention span kept me from finding any research that would change my behaviors. I'm wondering why the big brains here have found useful from the 2013 research.

Quote Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
    I scanned through the report and it seems to be very well done. However, my short attention span kept me from finding any research that would change my behaviors. I'm wondering why the big brains here have found useful from the 2013 research.
    AK, I'm not sure I understand the implicit question in your last sentence ("why...have found useful from the 2013 research"). I think you're either asking us (1) what's useful in the 2013 literature, so you don't have to comb the report, or (2) why we even bothered. Rephrase, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    AK, I'm not sure I understand the implicit question in your last sentence ("why...have found useful from the 2013 research"). I think you're either asking us (1) what's useful in the 2013 literature, so you don't have to comb the report, or (2) why we even bothered. Rephrase, please?
    #1 for sure. "why" should have been "what". I am wondering what others have found useful in the research. I am very happy you bothered to do all that work on the report. I said I "scanned" the report but I read several sections closely and skimmed the rest. Much of the medical content is over my head.

I would strongly suggest reading the report. It probably wasn't meant this way, but it is bordering on insulting to ask someone who has done an extensive lit search and succinctly summarized what they thought were the most important findings of an entire year of published papers to boil it all down to a couple sentences because you haven't taken the time to read the whole report. If you have specific questions or want to discuss certain things after doing so I'm sure that would be rather well received.

Sully, thank you for putting this together again. I like how you point out repeatedly that a lack of a significant result when a study is severely underpowered doesn't mean much of anything. In many, if not most, cases reporting no difference when you had no reasonable chance of detecting one can do much more harm than good.

All I can say is: WOW. I think you have the seeds of several books, here. The one you mention working on could hardly be cooler -- it reminds me of late nights in graduate school realizing the limitedness of our conceptions of our physical selves that we think of as "mapped territory", but which is profoundly not so. I am very much looking forward to any articles and an eventual book that spell out this thinking/emerging research further.

Most quotable quote:

"There is no athlete for whom the stakes are higher than the aging athlete, and no 'sport' more demanding than aging well."

Otherwise, simply a damned solid report on the current state of a myriad of topics related to RT.

Side note: all the Red Bull mentions seemed a bit odd, at first -- but I suppose with the study showing that it's effects aren't due to anything but the caffeine we can just consider Red Bull another name for caffeine with deep pockets and a marketing interest in funding strength science research?

Much of the medical content is over my head.
    This is very important: the whole article is over your head, and it was not written for you. It was written for people who understand this material, and it is an important addition to the literature. Please stop commenting now. I fucked up when I approved your initial post, but too many people have read it now for me to delete it, and for that I apologize to Dr. Sullivan.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    ...it reminds me of late nights in graduate school..
    I do hope I'm not being too - I don't know, coy? - here -- I am really amazed at the quality of this review of the current literature and I somehow didn't want to spoil the fun of anybody else at that last passage that promises such an conceptually interesting vector of further research/explanation. The level that you all are taking this thing to is *awesome* in the more traditional and contemporary senses of that term. "Thanks" just seems to weak, somehow, but Thanks!, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tallison View Post
    I do hope I'm not being too - I don't know, coy? - here -- I am really amazed at the quality of this review of the current literature and I somehow didn't want to spoil the fun of anybody else at that last passage that promises such an conceptually interesting vector of further research/explanation. The level that you all are taking this thing to is *awesome* in the more traditional and contemporary senses of that term. "Thanks" just seems to weak, somehow, but Thanks!, anyway.
    Because most people have never conducted a real review of the scientific, they don't understand the effort that goes into it, or how difficult it is to do well.

Plus I always enjoy reading Sully's writing. The directness coupled with his knowledge of the material is extremely refreshing.

starting strength coach development program
    Sully owes my employer half a day of my time for each year he's put one of these out. Excellent work once again, Doc.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast