starting strength gym

Thread: adductor tie in strain ?

Question adductor tie in strain ?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

I posted this in the "Recovery" forum, but got no responses, so moving to coach Rip's forum.

An old football injury is rearing its head at 53 years old. Right adductor tendon, possibly sartorial or gracillis also. For the past 6 months or so it has bothered me a bit. But this week, did light weight hi rep squats and now the darned thing is strained, sprained, hurt. Regular 3x5 weight is only 300 at 175 lb bodyweight at 5'7'', being careful not to push too hard at my age. I am fast twitch, but really small boned (old LSU defensive back, you can picture what I look like).

In hindsight, what I think happened was my stance was too wide and decent too fast with the light weight, form got sloppy; I should be horse whipped for such stupidity at my age. Sigh.
    I do go parallel or a bit below (knees out at 30 deg.) but not all the way bottom to the ground. If my stance is wide, the area now hurts with just body weight in a normal to wide stance. Feet close body weight squat does not hurt.

Any recommendations on rehab appreciated:
    1. Lay off legs completely till all pain is gone.
    2. Light hi reps with closer stance.
    3. Something else?

Any long term recommendations on squat stance and eccentric speed would help also.
    Thanks

Take a narrower stance and point your toes more forward to take the adductors out of the movement. Warm up to a safe weight and do 3 sets of 5 at that weight. Gradually return to your normal stance over the next month, squatting 2x/week. Gain some weight. Control your eccentric descent better. Never use too wide a stance again.

Lightbulb

Update: Thanks Coach, hip starting to feel better again.

I re-read the SS squat chapter section on foot placement, several times. Then I re-watched the Squat chapter on the SS DVD. So I know the proper way to squat. Here is what I think the main issue was: shoes. That's right, I was lifting in plain old tennis shoes. I had always justified to myself not getting real lifting shoes because I was not doing "big weight like the big guys". Well, the lack of support and heel height is what was making me take a wider than needed stance!

Having looked at the Adidas Adipowers for a year now and seeing the great reviews, my ordered pair arrived this week. Friday, my squat with the Adipowers at a regular correct stance with my normal 3x5 weight caused zero hip pain! As Coach says in the book, and people have mentioned on these forums many times, get real lifting shoes.

FWIW, having a narrow foot, the Adipowers feel great for me. And being an older more conservative guy, the white (not the bright red/orange) looks nice too

Did you know that the song Indiana Wants Me was written by R. Dean Taylor?

Cool

LOL, I am not that old, he was born in '39. Besides, he is Canadian, I am Cajun, born n raised on the bayou. I was raised on CCR, Zydeco, southern fried rock and wild Charismatic church music, definitely no soft rock stuff here

Would you recommend the same thing for a tweaked adductor muscle? I just tweaked it yesterday. Form was good and was very controlled decent (roughly a 2 0 2 tempo), but definitely felt it as was slowing down for the turn around out of the hole and not sure how tweaked it, just one of those things I guess.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzz169 View Post
    Would you recommend the same thing for a tweaked adductor muscle? I just tweaked it yesterday. Form was good and was very controlled decent (roughly a 2 0 2 tempo), but definitely felt it as was slowing down for the turn around out of the hole and not sure how tweaked it, just one of those things I guess.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...860#post926860