starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make a 8 year old skinny kid stronger?

Default How to make a 8 year old skinny kid stronger?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello Mark,

My colleague's son is 8 years old, measures 3'5" and weighs 17 kg. Both his parents are 5'2" and are around 45~50kg.
    He has very poor resistance to sickness. The moment he develops fever, his temperature raises very fast to 104F and paracetamol doesn't show any effect. Doctors have prescribed a different medicine that works well for fever but, aggravates his asthma and allergies. All these problems kill his appetite and sleep. And his growth is stunted. Essentially, it's a vicious cycle.
    His academic performance is top notch though.
    I'm sure that getting stronger is going to help him snap out of his sickness to a large extent.
    Could you suggest any method of getting the kid healthier?

Many men throughout history have overcome this situation with exercise and diet. But this may not be the kid's only problem.

He could be like Theodore Roosevelt, former president of the USA

Roosevelt was born in 1858 to a wealthy New York banker and the daughter of a prosperous Georgia planter. He was anything but the model physical specimen. His eyesight was poor. He wore thick glasses his entire life. As a child he was small and weak. He suffered from acute asthma, which contributed to his frailty.

Taking his father's advice, he dedicated himself to physical fitness, without which he believed there could be no mental fitness. His hard work paid off, and as he entered Harvard with a muscular frame, his condition bothered him less and less.
    the link to the article http://www.ushistory.org/us/43a.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Many men throughout history have overcome this situation with exercise and diet. But this may not be the kid's only problem.
    The doctors ran him through several tests. They all came normal. Typically, it takes about half an hour his temperature to raise from 94.8 F to 104F in the event of a fever.
    They are vegetarians by tradition. But, he consumes about two glasses of milk a day apart from nuts and fruits. They have started to include a couple of boiled eggs per day in his diet.

Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post
    Not this kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    The doctors ran him through several tests. They all came normal. Typically, it takes about half an hour his temperature to raise from 94.8 F to 104F in the event of a fever.
    They are vegetarians by tradition. But, he consumes about two glasses of milk a day apart from nuts and fruits. They have started to include a couple of boiled eggs per day in his diet.
    Did they run a bronchoscopy? I would lay off the milk and dairy products all together until they find out what's wrong with him and just have him eat a normal diet - meat and vegetables. I know when I was a kid if I drank milk I would build up a lot of mucus and become feverish, which would usually develop into bronchitis and other shit. Turned out after my bronchoscopy I have PCD.

I believe diet is the key, even though this kid probably doesn't have very high athletic potential. I ran into an argument with a vegan the other day so i had to read up on kids and nutrition. This article covers some of this: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...91524505003032
    Apart from the obvious (B12, vary plant protein sources..) they write the following on growth concerns:
    If growth is not occurring at the expected rate and calories need to be increased, the following foods can help increase the calorie and fat content of the diet: avocado (sliced or mashed), tofu, bean spreads, vegetable oils, margarine, and nut or seed butters (after age 1 year). High-fiber foods can fill a small stomach very quickly; therefore, in addition to the concentrated calorie sources listed above, dried fruit, peeled fruits and vegetables, fruit juices, and some refined grain products can help add calories without adding bulk at any age (Mangels & Messina, 2001).

Nutrition assessment and counseling are important aspects of health promotion in pediatric and adolescent health care. Individuals and families following a vegetarian diet benefit from an NP who is knowledgeable in specific dietary recommendations as well as community resources for a variety of vegan foods. A developmental approach allows the NP to appropriately tailor the counseling and assist with planning vegetarian diets that support the growth and energy needs of children and adolescents. Key vegetarian diet counseling points for each age group are included in the Box. Careful nutrition assessment and counseling will allow NPs to play a key role in encouraging families to adopt healthy eating habits with regular exercise to assist in disease prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Maybe if he was eating right in the first place he wouldn't be so sickly.

Parents shouldn't force their (stupid) dietary decisions on their children. It is one thing for an adult human to limit their nutritional intake, it is another to malnourish your child. Children are growing and require a balanced diet. Not a bunch of carbohydrates, and a little protein and fat from nuts and legumes. Jail the parents and get the kid eating right.

Quote Originally Posted by franklie View Post

the link to the article http://www.ushistory.org/us/43a.asp
    Dang it, Frankie beat me to it. Anyhow, I know it's not quite an analogous situation, but I prefer the article on The Art of Manliness.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 8odin8 View Post
    Did they run a bronchoscopy? I would lay off the milk and dairy products all together until they find out what's wrong with him and just have him eat a normal diet - meat and vegetables.
    He doesn't eat a normal diet. He's a sickly little vegetarian kid, and his parents are fine with it, because they are sickly vegetarians too. Leave them alone. This is none of your business.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast