starting strength gym

Thread: ACL-Surgery Hamstring Graft

Default ACL-Surgery Hamstring Graft

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip,

I had my right ACL repaired 6 days ago, they used tendons from my Hamstring (Semitendinosus and Gracilis) of the same leg. I asked my physio before surgery whether my Hamstring will be weaker longterm and he assured me it wouldnt.
    I asked the surgeon and he said unless im a pro sports player i have nothing to worry about.
    Now being lied up in bed the last week i have had a chance to look at a few med journals ,and the majority say theres no major weakening of the graft site. I think 10% loss was the most i saw which i thought was a lot but that was one report.

I wanted your opinion on it I know you have had ACL repair. Will my Hamstring be alot weaker due to the surgery?

Sorry if this has been done to death before I couldnt find this specific question.

Thankyou in advance

Matt

Ps Any dates for the release of Staring Strength DVD yet?

My graft was a patellar tendon graft, and that is all the experience I have had with it. But plenty of people read this board, so I'd like to hear from someone who had the hamstring graft and trained hard through rehab.

The DVD is being delivered Monday. We'll have something up next week. The initial printing was 2000, so there will be enough for a while.

The physio said ill be starting rehab 2 weeks after surgery. Ill be doing SS with deloaded weight and build back up. Ill keep the forum posted on the Hamstring and its recovery.

Thank you for your time and look forward to next week dvd launch. Taking reservations?? if so put me in please.

I have had my graft from both... (Tore my ACL twice on the same leg)

If you did your pre hab and work hard at your re hab you shouldnt lose too much hamstring strength. I lost a little bit of strength due to my leg being locked at 45 degrees. I did however lose alot of flexibility and still have a considerable amount of inflexibility in my hamstrings but that was due to not stretching and working through the right ROM during rehab.

i had my right acl repaired with hamstring graph in aug 06. my left is still stronger but that is likely bc of the lame rehab i did. it was just weak panzy rehab and only lasted 3 months. suitable for old men, but not for 25 yr old active ppl. i certainly bear some blame as i should have done more research.

i was never much of a weightlifter and didnt know much about it at the time so after the rehab i started cycling a lot. for 2 years i put in a lot of miles on the bike and never noticed my left being stronger. i didnt realize how much stronger it was until i found starting strength and squatting. my weak leg has come a long way and i dont think its a problem anymore.

i was a strong athlete at the time of my injury and made it well known to the doctors that my priority was to play sports again. so unless the drs were bsing me it seems that the medical community doesnt think there is big difference.