starting strength gym

Thread: No more excuses form chk

Default No more excuses form chk

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    2nd time around doing starting strength, and I am determined to stick with it for an extended period of time. Just want to make sure I'm doing the exercises right. Here is my squat, DL, and MP. Please let me know what I'm doing wrong. Need to get my bench press up too as I don't think I'm tucking my elbow properly.

DL- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8HRe7JPPLs
    MP- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJ7zizvi1g
    Squat warmup- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkwpVN5dFew
    workset from a diff angle- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_CtIXS5xM

Deadlift - looks like there is some lateral movement towards your shin at the instant of barbell seperation. Raise your hips a bit and get the bar over your mid-foot to achieve a more efficient vertical line of pull.

Press - Looks like a partial press to me, reason why the bar isn't returning to its position on the upper chest on each rep?

Squat - Warmups look good but they usually do. Work set, from the shitty angle, the things I did see look decent, depth good, hip drive is present, but there is some knee sliding present in reps 3-5. Focus on setting the knees in the first third of the descent on each rep and sit back with the hips.

Deadlift:
    1. You're jerking the bar off of the floor. Instead, establish your start position, tighten your whole body, and then squeeze the weight off of the floor.
    2. There is a minor loss of back angle as the bar comes up to your knees. Start with your hips slightly higher.
    3. Can't tell for sure because the plates are in the way, but it looks like the bar is too far away from your legs. It should be just about touching your leg the whole way up.

Press:
    1. Your ribcage is rolled foreword at the start position. Arch your back (lift your chest up) before you pick up the weight, and keep it that way.
    2. Your bar path is curved. It should be vertical; use a little layback at the start position to allow the bar to clear your face, then tuck your body under the bar as you press it up.

Quote Originally Posted by NKT View Post
    Deadlift:
    1. You're jerking the bar off of the floor. Instead, establish your start position, tighten your whole body, and then squeeze the weight off of the floor.
    2. There is a minor loss of back angle as the bar comes up to your knees. Start with your hips slightly higher.
    3. Can't tell for sure because the plates are in the way, but it looks like the bar is too far away from your legs. It should be just about touching your leg the whole way up.

Press:
    1. Your ribcage is rolled foreword at the start position. Arch your back (lift your chest up) before you pick up the weight, and keep it that way.
    2. Your bar path is curved. It should be vertical; use a little layback at the start position to allow the bar to clear your face, then tuck your body under the bar as you press it up.
    +1

I can't see diddly squat in your other videos.

Fix your start position and bar path on the press. Your chest should be up and your elbows should be a little more forward in the start position, with the bar touching the front of your shoulders. It's not an elbows-up rack position, but it's not holding the bar in front of your nose either. You should return to the same position after each rep while maintaining a straight bar path. This means you need to lean back slightly at the bottom of each rep in order to keep the bar path straight.

Ditto NKT about not jerking the deadlift off of the floor.

I'd recommend re-reading the press and DL chapters and then watching your own videos again.