starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check #2

Default Squat form check #2

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Had my first failed set of squats in my linear progression yesterday. I will be de-loading from 275lbs to 225lbs and working my way back up.

I would appreciate if you all would please have a look at the videos in my most recent journal post and let me know what aspects of my form need corrected so I can get it right at the lower weight before I work my way back up.

Are you from the Pittsburgh area?

Get some appropriate shoes. You probably need to lower the safety pins a notch. Looks like your stance may be too wide. You might try to focus on sitting back more.

Cincinnati, Oh.

Unfortunately squat shoes are out of my price range for the time being, but in a few weeks I'll be able to afford some Chuck Taylors, a belt, and some proper chalk.

I have trouble getting proper depth with a narrower stance, but I'll give it a shot.

I've also thought about lowering the pins, my concern is that it was hard enough to squeeze my tall ass out of there at that setting, I don't know how I'd do it at a lower setting.

I think you'd benefit a lot from a belt.

Yeah i would agree with the stance, looks a little wide IMO. Also, focus on the "sitting back" aspect a little more i think. Looks like your knees are bending a little early.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    Cincinnati, Oh.
    Ah. I could tell because of the way you said "what aspects of my form need corrected."

Had my first failed set of squats in my linear progression yesterday. I will be de-loading from 275lbs to 225lbs and working my way back up.
    That's quite the deload. The book calls for a 10% deload, which would be about 30 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Ah. I could tell because of the way you said "what aspects of my form need corrected."
    Seriously? Seems like an unusual thing to be a regional colloquialism. I'd never picked up on it consciously anyhow.

I'll work on sitting back more and narrowing my stance.

Yes, it is quite the de-load (18-ish%), and intentionally so since I want to significantly improve my form.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Good call. I lived in PA for many years and "this needs done" was commonly heard.

starting strength coach development program
    Seriously? Seems like an unusual thing to be a regional colloquialism.
    Dropping the "to be" is definitely a regional thing. I grew up outside Philly and never encountered the construction until I went to school in Pittsburgh. Seems to be a western-PA/Ohio thing. I've talked to lots of people in Pittsburgh who had no idea it wasn't standard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast