starting strength gym

Thread: Jumping during cleans

Default Jumping during cleans

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Mark,

How important is it to get air under your feet when doing cleans? I am using 60KG for my power cleans (the smallest weight possible with 20kg standard size plates) and sometimes on the last couple reps I rack it, but don't get off the ground. Should I count these as missed reps and repeat at same weight next week? Also, when I do get some air under my feet, I still land too soon to time a stomp with my rack, is this a big problem?

Many thanks,

-Andrew Johnston

This is one of those deals I'd need to see. There won't be a lot of air under your feet, but the feet will have to break contact with the ground as you go under the bar.

It sounds like you are doing the little "donkey" kick where you kick your heels back like a school girl in a hop scotch competition. The mistiming of the "stomp" and racking the bar tells this is what you are doing. Don't put so much emphasis on "getting air" or jumping your feet off the platform! Your feet only need to move into a better catch position.

Drill this into your head: the "stomp" heard by lifters is mostly a byproduct of them vigorously pulling themselves down into the catch position while placing their feet into a better catch position. This is less pronounced with the "power" versions than the full version of the lifts where it is more important to use the bar to rocket yourself into the full squat position.

Watch some videos of elite lifters. Some barely more their feet off the ground.

Andrew,

Your description is kind of goofy. I suspect that your cleans have some more systemic issues than this.

That said, the main reasons to get off the ground are 1) to make sure you're outputting maximum power and 2) to let you adjust your feet to the landing position. 2 is maybe not ultra important for power cleans but 1 certainly is.

Mark,
    thanks for your reply. I'll stick with 60KG for the next couple weeks then until I am able to produce better power/speed and break contact with the floor. I have stayed with this weight for the last three weeks (because of issues to do with correct spacing of the floor) and am noticing continued improvement, so that now only the last two reps require significant 'dipping' to rack them. Additionally, I'm going to try using 8 sets of 3 for my power cleans, as described in PP, rather that 3 sets of 5, as I'm usually fine for the first three reps.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Dano,
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano View Post
    It sounds like you are doing the little "donkey" kick where you kick your heels back like a school girl in a hop scotch competition. The mistiming of the "stomp" and racking the bar tells this is what you are doing.
    I don't see how the description I gave tells you that. Suffice it to say I'm doing nothing of the sort.

Brandon,
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
    Andrew,

Your description is kind of goofy. I suspect that your cleans have some more systemic issues than this.
    It was a straightforward question. At heavier weights I can rack the bar but the jump is compromised. I was asking Mark if this was acceptable power clean form as he describes it in SS as I am having to drop to catch the bar (closer to a clean and further from a power clean).

If I wanted condescending answers to questions I didn't ask I would have posted on BB.com.

I think he's got you boys on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfasa View Post
    It was a straightforward question. At heavier weights I can rack the bar but the jump is compromised. I was asking Mark if this was acceptable power clean form as he describes it in SS as I am having to drop to catch the bar (closer to a clean and further from a power clean).

If I wanted condescending answers to questions I didn't ask I would have posted on BB.com.
    Christ. Defensive much? We're trying to help. "Digital coaching" involves trying to figure out what you're doing based on how you asked the question.

The question you asked had nothing to do with catch height; the question you asked was whether it was important to leave the ground or not. The answer I gave was yes, but since I've never seen anyone (in the modern weightlifting technique) cleaning correctly have a problem with coming off the ground, I suggested that your technique has some separate mechanical issue. Sorry if that offended your proud novice ego.

Since getting off the ground is as much about pulling your feet up as it is about jumping, with proper technique you should be hitting the landing position even with post-max weights. There's not some threshold above which you can still clean but can't get off the ground. As Dano observes all you need is enough space to move your feet out.

How about growing up and accepting some constructive criticism without assuming it is condesceniding? Do you want a wink and a smiley face so you know I'm not being a big meany?

Honestly, my apologies if I came of as being critical, but your problem really fit the description of someone who is overly focused on the "jump and stomp", especially with the mis-timing of the landing and the racking of the bar. This is often more pronounced with light weights, like you've drilling with and sometimes corrects itself when you move to heavier weights.

I competed for a number of years in OL and saw many, many athletes making the same mistake. Most people have the wrong "visual" about the whole purpose of the shrug, getting under the bar, and replacing the feet because they've been fed the wrong images.

As always, a lot is read(or not read) between the lines when the written word is used vs. face-to-face. Good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    They got you back...