starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Challenge or Challenged

Post Challenge or Challenged

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I've recently encountered a new challenge. On my last set of squats, I'll be grinding out the last few reps and sometimes a fellow will approach me from behind. Fresh from the leg extender 5000, he'll mention something involving the words 'bro' and 'spot' and proceed to get uncomfortably close to my rear. I'll manage to say "don't, I'm good" for fear of being being fondled, but the by this time the damage has been done and if I miss that rep, I can't help but think I should've made it had I not wasted my breath.

Am I right in assuming that intervention in the weight room is not normal?

I just had to share my pain,
    Simon

Perhaps a T-shirt is in order. "Stay Away From My Ass"

Better yet, instead of getting a spotter, grab someone to ward off any would-be spotters that try to buttfuck you mid rep. Tell him he's allowed to use violence if he deems it necessary.

Let him grab you from behind and then let the bar crash down onto him.

He'll never mess with you again, brah.

If he asked if you wanted a spot while you were in the process of lifting, I think the intervention was improper and stupid. As a courtesy to others, one should not interrupt a person during a pre-lift setup or during a lift, unless the building is on fire. Some people think you need a spot for a squat. The BOOK presents a good argument why spotting the squat is not a good idea.

I find that a spot can help me dare to dive for that last rep, but I'll ask an individual beforehand to spot.
    Though I've had one near accident in where I had an in particular hard rep at 375lbs and the person behind me thought I'd stalled and decided to help me by pushing on my hip (wtf?). This obviously made me loose balance and almost dive forward.
    Ever since this I have a tendancy to burst out like the Kirk "I GOT THIS!" if I have a rep like that again.

But I train at a powerlifting gym so most people know how to spot, we also dont have a power rack actually.

I have, fortunately, never encountered this offer. However, if I was, I would be sorely tempted to just dump the weight backwards, turn around, and say "thanks" to the resultant pile of human and steel.

The BOOK presents a good argument why spotting the squat is not a good idea.
    I believe The Book didn't quite say that. It said that, in the absence of safety rails, such as in a competition, spotters are a very good idea when you're doing something you know will be around the limits of your strength. Of course, It also recommends against the Heimlich Maneuver Spot that everyone tries to do with the squat and recommends having two spotters, one for each side of the bar, that know what the hell they're doing because if one shoves the bar up while the other is lollygaging things so sideways in a hurry.

In a gym a lifter would likely have safety rails and therefore have no need for a squat.

Any gym that likes its bars straight has educated spotters for the squat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    Let him grab you from behind and then let the bar crash down onto him.

He'll never mess with you again, brah.
    I don't know why this is cracking me up so much - but I'm just imagining feeling someone touch you and immediately yelling "take it!" and stepping out from under the bar.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast