starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pause SS for some wise fat loss?

Default Pause SS for some wise fat loss?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    37 year old male, 6'1''

Starting bodyweight 380 lbs.
    Current Bodyweight 370 lbs.

Starting Squat - could barely do 1-2 reps at bodyweight (yes, I was a weak, sad motherfucker)
    Current Squat - 250 lbs, 5 reps, 3 sets (Now I'm a slightly stronger, sad motherfucker!)

Starting Bench - 170 lbs, 5 reps, 3 sets
    Current Bench - 220 lbs, 5 reps, 3 sets (I had gotten up to 240X5X3, but a weird shoulder/back injury/thing caused a reset and is something I'm still dealing with now... expect a thread about that soon.)

Starting Deadlift - could not get into starting position at first because of weak legs and gut.
    Current Deadlift - 270 lbs, 5 reps, 3 sets

Starting Press - 95 lbs, 5 reps. 3 sets
    Current Press - 165 lbs, 5 reps, 3 sets

First off, I love the program and the mentality behind it. I've dabbled with weightlifting in the past, but have never had the burning desire this program has instilled in me. The basic exercises just feel so smart and pure (fuck the machines!) and the simple undeniable logic of progressive overload tightens my scrotum. I've read SS, PP, am reading Mr. Gravity now, and Strong Enough is next up. The modest strength gains I've made so far have greatly improved my quality of life and I'm very thankful for that. Also, the mental toughness and increased self confidence that has come with successfully forcing myself to lift heavy things over and over again has prepared me for the challenge of losing weight.

Now it's time for the whining...

I started SS in December 2012 and have gained a decent amount of strength so far but I'm concerned my bodyweight isn't coming down. It went down a little bit at first, but it has stabilized at around 365-370 for the last 2-3 months. Clearly, there has been some gained muscle / lost fat given the increased strength and stable weight. But for professional (my current job is close to instituting a physical fitness standard for continued employment and another job that I want has physical fitness standards that I'm pretty far from right now), medical (A recent tweaking of the above mentioned injury has me taking a break from high intensity lifting for a bit while I seek diagnosis and healing from the medical community - may god have mercy on my soul) and social (attractive women don't like fatties... imagine that) reasons, I need to accelerate my weight loss. I've got a big barrel chest and I come from a family of big dudes, so I'm not fooling myself into thinking I'm going to get below 200,have a six pack, and make sweet love to Hermione but I would like to at least get below 300 for the above listed reasons as fast as I safely can. My plan right now is to pretty much continue with the healthy diet I've adopted for SS (high protein, medium amount of carbs, more veg and fruits, minimal processed foods -- worlds better than my previous diet of eat everything my grubby paws touch) but cut a little of the protein and lower the carbs. For exercise, I'm going to attempt to do some sort of metcon using bench, press, squats, and deadlifts so that I can continue to work on my form and hopefully not lose too much of my hard gained strength during the weight loss. Also tabattas on a bike. And the occasional walking (jogging when I get my feet in shape enough to do it). My eventual plan is to get in the neighborhood of 240-250 as a healthy weight but that's further down the road.

So after all that rambling, I guess my main question is do you have any suggestions on how I could turn the 4 main exercises (squat, deadlift, press, bench) into some sort of metcon program for the next few months to help me achieve my goal of getting under 300? What should be the intensity level? My first guess (without actual titration... something I will work on as soon as I get back in the gym) would be about 70% of 5RM for 10 reps, 5 sets with like a minute or two of rest between sets. Am I a fucking moron for even thinking of such a thing? Was Captain Picard the best captain of all time and space or just the best Starfleet captain?

Scratch that last question. We don't want things to get ugly around here.

You've gone from a pathetic pile of phlegm to normal-strong while losing 10 pounds in 5 months. What do you think has happened to your bodyfat% in that time? I think you just need to tighten up your carbs and add some prowler work. If you start trying to make the barbell exercises into something besides strength training, your strength will go down. Happens every time. Since there are better ways to condition anyway (search function), do that and continue to improve your strength with a tighter diet.

Jamie - I am tons of fun myself. 6'1 at 310. 45 years old. I can absolutely relate to where you are coming from. I am competing in my first Meet on May 11th then attending an SS Seminar the following weekend. After that I am planning on focusing dropping bodyfat and weight in order to be able to make a run at becoming an even better pound-fro-pound lifter. I am shooting for dropping about 60lbs over the next several months. I am limited in the type of "cardio" I can do - however I have a big ass tractor tire, a sledge hammer, a recumbent bike and absolutely the determination to get rid of those pounds .. .all the while using the lifts we know that work. Lets do this together. If one fat ass losing weight is a party . .hell .. two of us will be right on it. At this stage though we can not be int he same vicinity though...as big as we are should we accidentally bump into one another, we'd start a grease fire. Seriously though - -if you want to work together on this - I would welcome teaming up. I will know a little more after having completed the Starting Strength Seminar . .what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You've gone from a pathetic pile of phlegm to normal-strong while losing 10 pounds in 5 months. What do you think has happened to your bodyfat% in that time? I think you just need to tighten up your carbs and add some prowler work. If you start trying to make the barbell exercises into something besides strength training, your strength will go down. Happens every time. Since there are better ways to condition anyway (search function), do that and continue to improve your strength with a tighter diet.
    You're right that my body fat has decreased. I'll tighten up my carbs, but I still want to get some carbs, right? 10% of calories? 20%?

My current gym is a commercial nightmare but I've got my eye on one which seems promising. Does anybody on here know anything about Powerhouse Fitness in Raleigh, North Carolina? http://feelsteel.net/
    Hopefully they'll have a prowler.

I will now hitch up my panties and utilize the search function to research conditioning.

Thanks for the input, Coach!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Broke_Legs View Post
    Jamie - I am tons of fun myself. 6'1 at 310. 45 years old. I can absolutely relate to where you are coming from. I am competing in my first Meet on May 11th then attending an SS Seminar the following weekend. After that I am planning on focusing dropping bodyfat and weight in order to be able to make a run at becoming an even better pound-fro-pound lifter. I am shooting for dropping about 60lbs over the next several months. I am limited in the type of "cardio" I can do - however I have a big ass tractor tire, a sledge hammer, a recumbent bike and absolutely the determination to get rid of those pounds .. .all the while using the lifts we know that work. Lets do this together. If one fat ass losing weight is a party . .hell .. two of us will be right on it. At this stage though we can not be int he same vicinity though...as big as we are should we accidentally bump into one another, we'd start a grease fire. Seriously though - -if you want to work together on this - I would welcome teaming up. I will know a little more after having completed the Starting Strength Seminar . .what do you think?
    I got a feeling if we did start a grease fire together, the protein-craving bums around here would line up with massive amounts of assorted meats on skewers to take advantage of the impromptu roasting opportunity. And I would salute them for that.

But seriously, I've read your story on here and I like the cut of your jib, sir. I'd be honored to team up with you on this mutually beneficial project.

Are you limited from repetitive long session legs-based cardio because of your past injury? For me, the problem is after something as simple as a 45 minute walk at a brisk pace, my ankles and feet feel like really creaky lead weights the next day. Normally, I'd pop prescription levels of vitamin I and grin and bear it, but I've had catastrophic plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendon issues in the recent past, so I'm very wary of waking those gruesome specters. Of course, ALL these problems are because of my obesity which is why I'm anxious to lose some weight.

So yeah. Let's tackle this bitch. :-)

I'm jealous that you're going to a seminar. I'm dying to do the same, but it's just not possible right now. One day, I will make the journey to a Whichita Falls seminar so that Mr. Rippetoe can Benny Hinn my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehowdeshell View Post
    I got a feeling if we did start a grease fire together, the protein-craving bums around here would line up with massive amounts of assorted meats on skewers to take advantage of the impromptu roasting opportunity. And I would salute them for that.

But seriously, I've read your story on here and I like the cut of your jib, sir. I'd be honored to team up with you on this mutually beneficial project.

Are you limited from repetitive long session legs-based cardio because of your past injury? For me, the problem is after something as simple as a 45 minute walk at a brisk pace, my ankles and feet feel like really creaky lead weights the next day. Normally, I'd pop prescription levels of vitamin I and grin and bear it, but I've had catastrophic plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendon issues in the recent past, so I'm very wary of waking those gruesome specters. Of course, ALL these problems are because of my obesity which is why I'm anxious to lose some weight.

I'm jealous that you're going to a seminar. I'm dying to do the same, but it's just not possible right now. One day, I will make the journey to a Whichita Falls seminar so that Mr. Rippetoe can Benny Hinn my ass.
    Son of a bitch.__This bulletin board software edits out the proper double space after my sentences.__I feel violated, mortified, and deeply saddened.

At least I've still got my Oxford commas.

Does anybody on here know anything about Powerhouse Fitness in Raleigh, North Carolina?http://feelsteel.net/
    Hopefully they'll have a prowler.
    After doing some cursory research, it's a black iron gym that's been in business for over 30 years, the owner appears genuine and non-douchey, and they have some legitimately strong people. Don't worry if they have a prowler or not. Just go to train there.

Are you limited from repetitive long session legs-based cardio because of your past injury? . . . . Of course, ALL these problems are because of my obesity which is why I'm anxious to lose some weight.
    I think we would be best served starting out by adding a bit of walking three times a week - 30 minutes. I also plan on 3 - 10 minute sessions on the exercise bike for intervals. Then from there the most important aspects: Barbell work & Diet.

I say we continue with either SS or TM - -depending on where we are in our progress.

Coach - Any additional suggestions beyond eat less carbs, move your ass, and lift ever increasing heavy weights?

Guys, check in with Jordan in the Nutrition section of this forum. Give him you stats and goals, he'll give you macro targets and conditioning approaches that won't leave you weak at the end of your "cut."

starting strength coach development program
    I stopped by there (Powerhouse) a few weeks ago to check it out. It's a little tight space-wise but nice people. I think there were 3 squat racks/power racks and a dead lift platform along with benches, chalk, and lots of plate loaded machines. I don't think there's any A/C or a prowler but they have treadmills. They'll let you drop in for a workout for the first time for free.

Something that's easier on the ankles for conditioning is rowing. Might help get you to a point where prowler work or other cardio won't kill your ankles. I have a bad ankle that hates running (same deal, next day or two sucks) and the rower doesn't bother it. I live south of Raleigh near Fuquay. PM me, maybe we can lift together sometime. Hit up Jordan in the nutrition forum or for a consult to get you moving in the right direction nutrition-wise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast