starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new interview on the web

Excellent. Shared to facebook.

"The load is the variable, not the exercise" - man, I wasted so much training time by not recognising the simple and essential truth of this statement.

Thanks. This is perfect for my buddy's son, who is a HS football coach. Just sent it to him.

Thank you!!! I've forwarded this link to my 17 year old son and his football coach. Maybe hearing this information will get them to understand that 2 hour high rep marathons are not the best way to get stronger and bigger for football! The kid was wondering why he lost 30 pounds since last season (also plays basketball). He figured out that maybe...just maybe the long weight room sessions contributed to that. I was pretty proud when he headed out the door last night and said, "I'll be back shortly, I'm just doing my squats and bench." He's considering becoming a physical education teacher, maybe he will pass on your wisdom. Thanks again for all that you do.

Great interview. I will be sending this out to anyone who will listen. I can not tell you how many times I have to try and explain these principles to the parents of the kids that I work with. Fortunately, the results of barbell training speaks for itself. Thanks for posting this.

"Anyone not motivated by progress, is not an athlete." That's gold. Very enjoyable, Rip.

'What he's selling it seems to me is technique...I was thinking it would be pretty simple and straightforward to go out and get some barbells yourself and do this in your garage...but really, technique is a critical component to success.'

Is this actually true? Would it be so terrible if someone wasn't technically perfect when they start starting strength, but who read the book and fix the problems as they progress in the program. The interviewers statement makes it sound like getting some barbells and doing it in your garage isn't a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevs111 View Post
    'What he's selling it seems to me is technique...I was thinking it would be pretty simple and straightforward to go out and get some barbells yourself and do this in your garage...but really, technique is a critical component to success.'

Is this actually true? Would it be so terrible if someone wasn't technically perfect when they start starting strength, but who read the book and fix the problems as they progress in the program. The interviewers statement makes it sound like getting some barbells and doing it in your garage isn't a good idea.
    Since when has it ever been a good idea to blindly jump into something with no emphasis on correct technique?

Would you grab a ball bat and go up to the plate having never even thought about how to set your feet? Where your hands should be? How your legs and hips should move? The timing of it all?

Would you run out on the basketball court in a game, having never touched a ball let alone shot at the hoop? Again, things like proper form with your feet, hands, shoulders, and legs are sort of important to getting the best out of your efforts.

That last line is what I want to drive home; Getting the best out of your efforts.

Proper form, technique, and the discipline to train them are crucial to getting the best out of your efforts. Even if you never consciously thought about things like form or technique, your body learns from doing it. But why take years to learn something by sheer luck, when you can focus your mind to learning from teachers much faster?

If you are serious about strength training, why would you want to fumble about and hope you get results by mere happenstance? Fact is, that is how many of the gym goers spend their time... It's such a waste. They do not see results (and as Rippetoe points out in the interview, seeing results is quite necessary for motivating the athlete), and they risk injury from doing the exercise incorrectly.

These same people spend decades of their lives never really getting anywhere in regards to strength/fitness goals. Many never even know why. All for lack of spending a bit of brain power focused on technique/form. Hell, Rippetoe even saves you the trouble of planning out some routine. 5 basic exercises. Learn them well (technique), and let the increasing weight be the variable.

starting strength coach development program
    I think there's a middle ground here. Everyone who lifts and who wants to see results should focus on technique, for both efficient use of their time and for safety. Duh. That's why Rip wrote a 300+ page book that covers technique for about 3/4 of those pages. But nobody should feel like they can't do the program or progress unless their technique is perfect, unless they have the money and time for hours of coaching, etc.

I see quite often here in the forums guys squatting less than their (usually pretty light) bodyweight who say things like 'I want to have my technique perfect before I start the program.' Guys who spend weeks doing squats with a broomstick or constantly resetting with one plate on the bar because they think they'll die or collapse into a pile of mangled bones and torn ligaments if they squat with less-than-perfect form. IMO that's a mistake, if for no other reason than actually doing the lifts with some weight on them - plus videotaping oneself, posting form checks, asking questions, etc. - is how one diagnoses what's wrong and fixes it.

Not to mention, nobody ever gets to the point where his technique is perfect and that's that. Read some of the competitor training logs here, including some of the SS staff coaches - guys (and women) squatting more than I could probably roll across the gym floor - and they'll note their own technique breakdowns, things a little out of whack, things they need to cue themselves on. Especially at near-max weights. It's a constant process. That's part of what makes it fun and interesting and a challenge for the long haul.

If I were cool like Sully I'd put this disclaimer in small letters but ... Don't take this as an excuse to be stupid. It's not my fault if I 'motivate' some rook to go out and shatter his spine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast