starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fucking Bench.

Default Fucking Bench.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    It's so fucking frustrating. I started SS a year ago, and did it for 3 months or so, before a knee injury and school forced me to take a break. Progress was something like:

S: 85 -> 225
    D: 135 -> 235
    B: 75 -> 150
    P: 65 -> 115
    BW: 141 -> 178 at 5'8

I failed 155 3 times, then reset. I then failed 150 a couple times, and reset again, only to fail at 150. I then took a huge break, and started up again in june. My lifts right now:

S: 240
    D: 225 (couldn't deadlift at school gym until about a week ago)
    B: 150
    P: 110
    BW: 158 at 5'8

I just failed 155 3 times again. 150 was fairly easy, and I got 155 for 5,4,3. The next two workouts were 3, 3, 2. Bench just feels awful for me.

I don't have a video of form (though I will try to get one), but I believe it's decent. I arch my back, retract shoulderblades, take a deep breath, look at a point on the ceiling, try to stay tight by pushing with my feet. My bench just dies once it hits this weight, and its pathetic when my press is 40 pounds away from my bench.

What should I do now? I haven't been microloading bench, since this weight in my mind was too low for that, but I guess i'm going to have to now. Is there anything else I can do to get bench moving? It feels ridiculous to make absolutely no progress, and have to reset this weight for probably the 4th time in a year.

Have you been doing chinups?

Bench press is a hard lift for some people. Just keep at it, and definitely get some microloading plates. Also, make sure you are eating enough.

If you arent doing it, imagine pushing yourself into the bench instead of pushing the bar away, keeping your rear delts on the bench as you already have your scapulae retracted.

Have you been doing chinups?
    I try to do them every two workouts or so. I'm up to sets of 7 (up from 0 when I started).

Zero: Someone suggested that a few weeks back, and I've been trying to do that.

Microplates. 5lbs on 150lbs is more than a 3% jump.

+1 for microloading. Also if back on your last run you reset from 155 to 150 as i interpret your message that's not correct. it's supposed to be 10% and then build from there to give you some breathing room.

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    +1 for microloading. Also if back on your last run you reset from 155 to 150 as i interpret your message that's not correct. it's supposed to be 10% and then build from there to give you some breathing room.
    Oh, no. I had meant that I reset to 135 and then failed 150 when I got back there.

Thought i posted the link:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...-the-pecs.html

Are you sticking at the bottom coming off the chest or does the weight just feel really heavy (shaking arms)? Forearms need to be perpendicular to the floor at bottom dead center of the lift, try squeezing the bar harder in your hands and pushing the bar together as you drive it off the chest and see if it helps "activate" the pecs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Thought i posted the link:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...-the-pecs.html

Are you sticking at the bottom coming off the chest or does the weight just feel really heavy (shaking arms)? Forearms need to be perpendicular to the floor at bottom dead center of the lift, try squeezing the bar harder in your hands and pushing the bar together as you drive it off the chest and see if it helps "activate" the pecs.
    I never thought of it that way. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Volume.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast