starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why deadlift on volume day in the Texas Method?

Default Why deadlift on volume day in the Texas Method?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,

Why do you prefer deadlifts on volume day over intensity day? I'm done some research, and it seems that the reason is because some trainees have trouble recovering for volume squats if deadlifts are done on ID, and although deadlifts are not a true 5RM on VD - they keep going up every week which is what matters?

I can hardly stand up or bend down to pick up the bar after 315 5x5 squats, so I was wondering if you think deadlifts on ID is terribly wrong.

Extra question: would you advise against adding barbell rows on VD after power cleans, just for physique goals (thicker back)? Also, you said you'd limit brief arm work to Monday but since Monday is so high volume, would adding brief arm work to Friday be acceptable? I'm not trying to mess with the program, just want to be sure.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 05-30-2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Monday is the hard day. Deadlifts are hard. If you deadlift on Friday, you have interfered with the process of being recovered for Monday. Eat a little something after your sets of 5 squats and you'll be better recovered for the deadlift later in the workout. Then, get your deadlift up to 505 x 5 and your back will be thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Monday is the hard day. Deadlifts are hard. If you deadlift on Friday, you have interfered with the process of being recovered for Monday. Eat a little something after your sets of 5 squats and you'll be better recovered for the deadlift later in the workout. Then, get your deadlift up to 505 x 5 and your back will be thicker.
    That makes sense, I'll give it a shot. It just feels wrong mentally because deadlifts would be strong on Friday but as long as they go up it's fine.

That being said, wouldn't the barbell row be a great way to get my bench press up, similar to how you say the power clean helps your deadlift go up? Wouldn't that be valuable enough to incorporate in the program?
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 05-30-2013 at 10:58 PM. Reason: spelling

I've tried deadlifting on Fridays and I came back to Mondays. It works better that for me. You become accustomed to the workload after a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperfluxe View Post
    That being said, wouldn't the barbell row be a great way to get my bench press up, similar to how you say the power clean helps your deadlift go up? Wouldn't that be valuable enough to incorporate in the program?
    How would barbell rows make your bench go up? It's kind of the opposite direction.

He must be thinking of the clapping bench press, ALA Terry Crews

Terry Crews has to pull his bench press down to his chest? How much weight is he using?

I've been doing deads on wed after light squats so i am recovered from monday and
    Won't mess up vd. Am i missing something?

Squats - 185kg 5x5 407lbs
    Deads - 210kg 5reps 460lbs

Rip, for those people who compete, would there be any merit to swapping the DL to Friday in the run up to a comp? My thinking is that in the 8-12 weeks leading up to a comp the ID becomes the real focus and the VD takes a bit more of a back seat.

I'll admit that I've always done my TM the wrong way by DL on Friday.

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Rippetoe.

When deadlifting 1x5 every week on TM becomes too taxing, which of the following would you recommend (if either)?

Switch deadlifting to 1x3 every week.

Deadlift 1x5 every other week.

I know you recommend alternating haltings and rack pulls as the main pull of the week but I'd really like to keep the whole movement in my program.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast