starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Training for the older folk

Default Strength Training for the older folk

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Mark you would agree that strength training for older folk is really essential for a better quality of life, yes? I am sure you would.

I was chatting with some folk from a retirement village and they told me the manager of that facility was introducing strength training for the inmates there. These folk told me that they were using 1.5kg dumbbells and they asked me if I train with weights, to which I said "yes I do as a matter of fact". They asked me do I use 1.5kg weights, I said "no", I use 150 kg weights (well on some lifts). They said "beg your pardon! you do mean 1.5kg weights?". "No" I replied I mean 150Kg weights. Ha!

I can't beat many folk in this game, but at least I have the old folk covered at the old folks home.Ha!

Seriously though some retirement places I have looked at are installing gyms, howbeit without free weights though. Perhaps what you have been saying all these years others are realizing that it is cheaper in the long run to keep old folk healthy through weight training rather then letting them sit in soft chairs and filling them full of pain killers.

No one has realized this except us. Their business model is based on beds and medications.

The choices come down to this.

Iron weights or aluminum walkers as a warmup for a rascal or wheel chair.

I don't know if there are Walmarts in Oz. But I suspect if you google for youtubes of them in the US, you will see such automated propulsion as relatively commonplace with Walmartians here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    The choices come down to this.

Iron weights or aluminum walkers as a warmup for a rascal or wheel chair.

I don't know if there are Walmarts in Oz. But I suspect if you google for youtubes of them in the US, you will see such automated propulsion as relatively commonplace with Walmartians here.
    No good Mark, once you loose your independence your at the mercy of other folk, and yes I see a lot of those battery powered vehicles around our streets, even some younger folk are using them, they drive them on the main roads much to the anger of the motorist. There is a whole industry based on these things. Apart from those who become incapacitated some of the oldies loose their driving license and use these as a substitute to get about and of course over the years the little corner shops have disappeared and you need to drive to the bigger shopping centers to do your shopping. If you are fortunate you need to retire to a village that has a bus then your OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No one has realized this except us. Their business model is based on beds and medications.
    Fall prevention is one of the best ways to keep the older folk out of the chair and virtually medication free and that prevention is one of the best outcomes of strength training, I suppose "Starting Strength for the Elderly" is still not a viable prospect yet.