starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder bursitis therapy?

Default Shoulder bursitis therapy?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Off and on through the years I have developed pain in my left shoulder, usually due to overuse like painting a house. Today I went to an orthopedist to see if there was an impingement problem. He said the x-rays looked good. He gave me a steroid shot and a prescription for physical therapy to learn "some exercises you can do at home", and said if it was not better in 4 weeks they would do an MRI. My question is this: given the mixed reviews of PT on this site, and the fact that at age 69 I am pressing 115 and benching 165, will PT be a waste of time? Looking on the web, it looks to me like many of the recommended exercises for shoulder problems would serve to make the problem worse.

It will be a complete waste of time, but I think you should do it anyway, just to remove the question from your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Dave View Post
    Off and on through the years I have developed pain in my left shoulder, usually due to overuse like painting a house. Today I went to an orthopedist to see if there was an impingement problem. He said the x-rays looked good. He gave me a steroid shot and a prescription for physical therapy to learn "some exercises you can do at home", and said if it was not better in 4 weeks they would do an MRI. My question is this: given the mixed reviews of PT on this site, and the fact that at age 69 I am pressing 115 and benching 165, will PT be a waste of time? Looking on the web, it looks to me like many of the recommended exercises for shoulder problems would serve to make the problem worse.
    It's amazing that my standard rx for shoulder impingement and subacromial bursitis are properly performed bench press, press, deadlifts, squats, and barbell rows. I've never had someone with either of the dxs not be able to perform them in the clinic without symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    It's amazing that my standard rx for shoulder impingement and subacromial bursitis are properly performed bench press, press, deadlifts, squats, and barbell rows. I've never had someone with either of the dxs not be able to perform them in the clinic without symptoms.
    Also, would generous sustained application of ibuprofen reduce bursitis?

First thing you try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    First thing you try.
    NO medical advice follows.

I had left-side C6/7 nerve impingement diagnosed by orthopedic surgeon via MRI. It cut my presses in about half (225 --> < 115), and my chins by more (< 5 to chest). Surgeon said it didn't warrant surgery, and told me to take OTC ibuprofren. Up to 3200 mg / day. Didn't limit the number of days. So I took that much (800 mg / dose ~ 4 x /day) for a month straight. Strength has returned. Rebuilding the presses (~ 175 lbs 5x5, not heavy) and chins are back (BW 3x14 to chest, progressing). I have now backed off the ibuprofen almost completely because strength progression seems normalized.

Fie upon inflammation.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    ... It cut my presses in about half (225 --> < 115)...
    Clarification: Bench press. Not overhead.