starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Formcheck

Default Deadlift Formcheck

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Coaches,

after reading the T-Nation DL article i think that there is something wrong with my deadlift.
    Maybe my setup which results in a too open knee angle. However, it would be great if someone give me a hint how i can fix possible errors.

many thanks in advance
    Matze

The biggest problem with your deadlift is that your lumbar spine flexes a little as soon as the weight comes off the ground. The second problem is that you seem to be on your toes. Here's what you need to do. Rock back off your toes. Squeeze your chest up and hold your low back tight as you pull. Very important. I recommend deadlifting in Olympic shoes.

thank you tom,

That was my first try to lift without wl shoes for a longer time ... (failed experiment, i thought it is maybe better). I amjust deadlifting once a week (wed next).

Additional questions:

Is stance and grip width ok, or should/could it a bit wider?
    From my feeling, i am on my midfoot, as a cue should i move to my heels?
    Would you recommend a belt? If yes, are there any cues? I have a slight problems to get tight with a belt in starting position.

thank you again

Your stance and grip width look good from here. You are on your toes at the start. The cue you want to use is "Rock back off your toes," which I already mentioned above. I think a three-inch belt can be of use on the deadlift. Some people can use a 4", but for most, it obstructs the setup.

hi tom,

i tried to implement the "rock off my toes - cue"
    I am not sure if i did that correctly, it would be greate if you look at my deadlifts again.

thank you!

Can you get me a video showing the side and a little bit of the front? I need to see where your shoulders are with respect to the bar. In general, your first couple of reps looked better than the last two. Hold your back in extension and don't let it unlock, even though it is hard.

Hi Tom,

i had some hard days at work and todays DL workout sucked really hard. However, does the video help to correct my setup?

best regards

Don't be in a rush. Your first pull looked pretty good. Thereafter, the weight was in your toes and the bar moved progressively further off your shins until you missed entirely. Get in the middle of your foot. When you set the bar down, it will almost always be forward of the midfoot. bring it back where it needs to be. Set up and rock back off your toes, if needed. Lastly, you need to hold your back together as you pull the bar from the floor. You are relaxing. You are able to get your back nice and flat off the ground. Stay tight and hold that position as you drag the bar up your legs. It will be hard to do. However, do it you must.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you master yod... Tom. I will try to practice and come back in 50lbs.