starting strength gym

Thread: Can't press on right side but want to keep pressing on left.

Default Can't press on right side but want to keep pressing on left.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've been diagnosed with distal clavicle osteolysis in my right shoulder. The press is to painful to perform at any weight. The bench is also a problem, but I am going to try to figure out a variation that will keep me benching until the pain improves. Maybe close grip, or dumbbells. My doctor had the same issue and said he was able to figure out a way to bench and is confident I can do the same. I'd welcome any suggestions you could offer that will allow me to perform some variation of the bench press until I can do the good, old-fashioned kind, again.

The thing is, my left shoulder used to bother me, and did for more than 20 years. That pain went away when I started pressing. I don't want to stop pressing on my left side because getting that shoulder stronger has been the magical cure. Do you have any recommendations? Maybe a dumbbell press once a week to maintain strength on my left side?

I don't have any experience with this injury, but if you can bench and press on your left side using dumbbells, I would do so.