starting strength gym

Thread: Forearm pain during OHP

Default Forearm pain during OHP

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi
    My name is Asaf and i'm 23 years old.
    I've been training for about 2 months now.
    I've always felt a pain in my left forearm during the press immediately after I finish lowering the bar back down.
    It's a small pain. I feel it when I do my warm-up with an empty bar (but not if I emulate the motion without it) and it increases the more I add weights. It has gotten to a point where it becomes a distraction during the exercise.

It's a strange pain, feels more like a contraction and it's a bit hard to put to words to a non-English native speaker.

I have no former injuries.
    Squat: 102.5kg
    Deadlift: 105kg
    Bench: 60kg
    Press: 40
    Weight: ~65kg (143.3 Pounds)*
    Height: 167cm (5'6'')

This is where the pain occurs:

Let me know if there's any information I left out. I progress in all the other exercises but I fail the press quite a bit because of how the pain distracts me.

*I know I should "Eat more!". I do, but I just started 2 months ago.

Let's see a video of your press. A 40 kg press should not cause anything to hurt besides your pride.

Well I believe it has little to do with technique as my technique is symmetrical, so even if it's wrong (and i'm sure it's not perfect) the pain itself is very peculiar.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwCb8eGQrQ

So after watching yourself push the bar forward, wiggle a lot, and often step forward near the top of the press, you feel your technique is sound?

I don't guarantee that any of this will help the pain in your forearm, but it will make your press better.

• Take 3 to 5 kg off the bar. You need to be able to make all five reps and do so with reasonable form.
    • Aim for your nose. You are pushing the bar forward of the midfoot and it stays there. This often causes you to take a step forward.
    • Fight the tendency of your left arm to push forward even more. You are twisting on the way up.
    • Eat more food and gain some weight. This will help many things.

Thanks for the response, Tom.

No, I never said my technique was good, I just said I don't believe it is technique related because it only happens on my left arm.
    Even when I do it with an empty bar I feel it.

In regards to technique:
    I actually changed my technique not long before taking the video to include the hip movement and I wasn't quite used to it yet.
    You can hear the guy who i asked to film it (TalEphrat, a forum member, we meet in the gym occasionally) telling me to direct it "to the nose" (La-Af in Hebrew) in the video. He also helped me adjust my grip before the video but it didn't help the pain.

But then again, I wanted to know if anyone is familiar with this type of pain and how it can be treated. I guess i'll go to a doctor or something.

I think you will find a trip to the doctor to be less than satisfying. Say "hi" to Tal for me. He's a really good dude.

Cool thread!
    Asaf just pressed 42.5kg today with a much better form aiming to the nose, at least at the set I saw (the 1st one). This time I almost punched him to do so haha

And by the way, the shim works great in terms of SI joint pain which is not a problem, but it's still not 100% symmetrical. Moved to TM 3 weeks ago and will hopefully squat 193kg for a set of 5 at Friday, which is quite big an increase since London, considering I had quite much off-time.
    You and Jordan were extremely helpful. Thanks.

Take care, Tom!
    Hope to be able to make it to the states :-)

starting strength coach development program
    I am glad to hear things are going well for you, Tal. 193 kg for 5 is no joke. Very good work.